• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacement buttons for a Kiton Shirt

clintonf

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure whether I've posted in the correct place, but I could really do with some assistance.

I'm looking to source some replacement buttons for a Kiton shirt. Has anyone got any ideas of where I could get them from?

I'm based in the UK, so if anyone knows of any UK based branch of Kiton, I'd be grateful.

I've purchased the Kiton shirts from this site and from eBay, so I've never actually been into a Kiton store. I'm not sure whether this fact will impede my chances of getting some replacement buttons.

Many thanks in advance

Clint

daniele6

Reaction score
The Kiton flagship store in London is on Clifford Street, Mayfair. 207 409 2000

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some of the thick MOP's from here.
They will look great and much less expensive.
I can replace the buttons on a shirt in 45 minutes with crows foot stitch.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Martin & Osa shirts have similar wide MOP Kiton-style buttons. I don't think they have stores in the UK, but you can pick up a shirt on sale for about $40 US via their website.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not having ever owned a Kiton shirt, I'm not sure about whether they use the typically-Neapolitan very thick buttons found on Borrelli, Barba, Truzzi, etc., shirts. However, they will certainly be nicely-made mother of pearl items. These are available from a number of sources. You just need to measure the diameter of the buttons, very likely 16 ligne (.40 in.) or 18 ligne (.45 in.), for shirt fronts, and possibly 14 ligne (.35) for gauntlet buttons and perhaps cuff buttons. In addition, measure the thickness, which would likely be somewhere in the range of 3 mm. to 4.5 mm. Knowing these dimensions, you could go to (as just one example):

http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/Loose...l_Buttons.html

for the buttons, choosing whatever quality you'd would like. I have some of the T4221 and T2310 Queen MOP buttons, and they're about as nice as any I've seen, albeit not cheap. Still with a Kiton shirt, you probably won't want chintzy replacement buttons.

Edit: Just a caution: Be careful in replacing buttons of X diameter and Y thickness with buttons departing from those dimensions. Any significant variation from the existing Kiton buttons will necessitate a re-doing of the buttonholes.

clintonf

Reaction score
Gentleman, may I thank you all for your assistance. All posts so far have been extremely helpful.

daniele6 - I will give the store a call in the morning. I'm from Birmingham (which is around 120 miles away), but I hope that I can convince them to send me some buttons (I may have to pay).

antirabbit - I like the idea of replacing the buttons, but I'm too much of a coward to do it (although, I may have someone to do them for me). However, at the moment, all I'm missing are 2 cuff buttons.

I'm positive that in the future, some more buttons will fail and I will consider replacement of them all.

However, I've lost a sleeve plackett button (have I identified the correct area?) on a Barba shirt and there are no spare buttons of this size on any of the Barba shirts that I've got. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Parker - I will look into that brand. I must admit, I've not heard of them. Thank you.

Roger - The Kiton shirts that I have, do not have the thicker MOP button of the Barba's Truzzi, Borrelli, Isaia, etc... The buttons are much thiner and slightly wider than those mentioned before.

The only brand that I've come across (in my VERY limited experience) which is near Kiton is Finamore.

I will have a look at the link that you provided with me earlier as I'm going to require more buttons and I could really do with a decent source (I'm sure there are some sites in the UK, but I have no idea where).

Once again, thank you all.

I'll be sure to let you know of my experience with Kiton once I've spoken to them.

Kindest regards

Clint

clintonf

Reaction score
This is just an update. I called the Kiton Store in London (many thanks daniele6 for the number) and explained the situation.

They asked me to send them an email, outlining my request. To which, they replied.

This was on Wednesday of this week.

This morning, I received an envelope contains, 12 shirt buttons, 10 sleeve buttons and around 12 collar stays.

Unfortunately, some of the buttons broke in transist, but I do have enough to replace the missing/broken ones on my shirts.

The cost to me - The price of an email. I even offered to pay, but this offer was ignored. In a word, briliant.

I'm really glad to know that service isn't completely dead. If anyone wants to know the email address, please pm me.

Many, many thanks for all those who helped. I now need to find some spares/replacements for my Barba's....

Regards

Clint

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Believe it or not, Martin & Osa shirts have similar wide MOP Kiton-style buttons. I don't think they have stores in the UK, but you can pick up a shirt on sale for about $40 US via their website.

This is interesting. Do you have any Martin & Osa stuff? Is it decent? I've seen the store but wrote them off as an older American Eagle spinoff. I'd be interested to give it a shot.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf

This morning, I received an envelope contains, 12 shirt buttons, 10 sleeve buttons and around 12 collar stays.

The cost to me - The price of an email. I even offered to pay, but this offer was ignored. In a word, briliant.

That is really nice! I love it.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
This is interesting. Do you have any Martin & Osa stuff? Is it decent? I've seen the store but wrote them off as an older American Eagle spinoff. I'd be interested to give it a shot.

I picked up a few knits at the online sale they had last month. Nice styling and details, but the cuts were poor - oversize and shapeless. At the time I didn't know they were connected with AE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads