• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replace back panel on unlined blazer?

951socal

Reaction score
I wanted to know if this is possible.

i have a Cotton blazer, that is unlined. it is slightly too small for me and there is some damage in the back of it.

im wondering if a tailor can remove the back portion of the jacket,

use that as a guide to rebuild that panel ot of a black linen (with larger dimensions then rebuild my jacket)

i need a total of 3" added to the back, ( the pockets are misplaced on the jacket from a bad tailoring job)

also will a jacket with a black linen back panel, cotton sleeves and a cotton front look bad for casual summer wear?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want a sport coat with part of it in linen part cotton?
eh.gif

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
You want a sport coat with part of it in linen part cotton?
eh.gif

the back portion made up of linen

the sleeves and the front made up of cotton

lining is absent

hoping for a wrinkle resistant summer blazer

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal

lining is absent

What a jacket!
facepalm.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just saw some new armani casual sportscoats with cotton t-shirt like sleeves and then stiffer more formal front/back panels. so like a cotton sportscoat with soft sleeves.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal

lining is absent

It would bother me too much that they were different fabrics. I would guess it would look different as well. If you can live with that...

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I just saw some new armani casual sportscoats with cotton t-shirt like sleeves and then stiffer more formal front/back panels. so like a cotton sportscoat with soft sleeves.
i got the idea from that, the color blocking of the RAF ran jil sander line and a vest i have here with a gotton front and silk panel in the reverse. only way i can think of saving my sport coat. i was thinking of wearing a nikolas +mark cashemere blend perhaps Rick owens esque long sleeve under it or silint by damir doma shirt under it. the blazer in question is a julius one i had bought in japan

viator

Reaction score
Just have them make the back panel in linen, but also make the front and sleeves in linen as well.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Just have them make the back panel in linen, but also make the front and sleeves in linen as well.

haha, i had purchased a H&M linen sport coat in black and had the polyester lining removed, and the buttons on the cuff made to actually be functional to serve that purpose. shortly after the work had been completely, the button on the front hat fallen off (thanks H&M) so i had new buttons on the front placed on it as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads