• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

repairing the lining of shoes

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if it is possable to repair or replace the lining of shoes. i found a pair of nettleton shell cordovan oxfords at the thrift store yesterday for 3$, but the leather inside has a 1' crack on both shoes. the leather on the outside is beautiful, and the soles are new, so i would not mind investing some money into these shoes. is it possable?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think the lining of a shoe can be easily repaired: taken from AE's website:
Unfortunately, we may not be able to accept footwear with cut, torn or scuffed uppers or badly cracked lining leathers.
To get access to the lining, the entire shoe needs dismantling. Although this is done in a full refurbishment job, replacing the lining would mean that the new replacement lining would have to be stitched in by hand as a sewing machine would never hit all the existing wholes. Of course you might be able to replace the lining partially, just the forepart or so. But in any case it would mean completely dismantling the shoe.

You, or a cobbler, might be able to glue a strip of leather or some sticky cotton tape from underneath.

well-kept

Reaction score
I have an old pair of Lobb St. James's calf loafers the linings of which have largely disintegrated. I keep weaing them with little if any loss of comfort, finding a certain charm in their advanced age. Similarly an old pair of EG oxfords. The softer the lining the more fragile it seems. In my most worn pair of AE shell cordovans the lining is still as strong as the upper after ten years. My advice is to wear the shoes and enjoy them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had linings repaired, esp. in the heel-counter area. It can be done, although the results are not always pretty to look at.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the clue is in the price.

Throw them away they were sent to the charity shop for this reason - sign of a previous wise owner.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I forgot that. Heel lining is no problem, as this is easily accessable.

The problem is the lining in the forepart.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cant tell when im wearing them, so maybe ill just glue it down. maybe they wont last 20 years, but i will get my 3$ out of them... actually already have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads