• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repairing pulls in a grenadine tie?

perpetua

Reaction score
Help! I love this navy grenadine tie I bought this summer from Paul at Chipp 2, but it's lately, mysteriously got a couple snags in it. I don't know how it happened; my best guess is that I did it myself while tying or untying it, since I've often got rough fingertips from playing guitar.

At any rate, how should I fix it? The snags are each closed loops, so part of me thinks I should just open up the back and try to pull each one back in. I'm not sure if that's a permanent fix, though. Another part of me thinks I should just snip them off like you would a wool sweater pill "” but I can't undo that if it doesn't work. What do you think?

(By the way, let this serve as an endorsement of Paul's very affordable grenadines. I paid $42 for this one, and it's made in the USA of a great, heavy silk. Ignore the weird red coloration "” that must be from the camera, since I can't see it looking at the tie in person.)

DSCN1324.JPG

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Do not, I repeat, Do Not snip them. Your first inclination to open up the tie and pull them through is the correct answer. This has been discussed before and David Hober, the zen master of grenadine ties, stated that pulling them through is what should be done.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who came up with the idea of snipping the loose threads? I know everyone on here aren't scientists and people who use logic in life, but how come snipping threads comes naturally to one's mind? We get this question at least once a week it appears and snipping it is always the first thing people ask about.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Who came up with the idea of snipping the loose threads? I know everyone on here aren't scientists and people who use logic in life, but how come snipping threads comes naturally to one's mind? We get this question at least once a week it appears and snipping it is always the first thing people ask about.

Fabric pulls and loose threads are not the same things. A pull can be "pulled back" into place, at least to some degree. A loose thread cannot be repaired as easily, and is usually clipped.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman

well, we learned it from sweaters I suppose

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
My wife uses a very tiny crochet hook to pull threads like this back through. I don't think you need to open up the tie. She always says that to snip a looped thread like that is to cut a hole in the garment.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Fabric pulls and loose threads are not the same things. A pull can be "pulled back" into place, at least to some degree. A loose thread cannot be repaired as easily, and is usually clipped.

Sorry, I wasn't using the right terminology. I meant a loose loop or pulled loop.

perpetua

Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the guidance. Clearly my first instinct was not the right one. So can I just snip the little thread that holds the folded back together, then pull each loop back through with tweezers, then resew the back? Is this something I should trust myself to do, having never really sewn more than a few buttons?

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by perpetua
Thanks, all, for the guidance. Clearly my first instinct was not the right one. So can I just snip the little thread that holds the folded back together, then pull each loop back through with tweezers, then resew the back? Is this something I should trust myself to do, having never really sewn more than a few buttons?

I've never done it, but I think getting the slip stitch right may be a hassle.

dtk_King

Reaction score
Does anyone have that computer generated image of where the threads in a grenadine weave goes? I've managed to snag both of my new Kent Wang Grenadine ties and need to fix it fore my dear heart gives in
frown.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtk_King
Does anyone have that computer generated image of where the threads in a grenadine weave goes? I've managed to snag both of my new Kent Wang Grenadine ties and need to fix it fore my dear heart gives in
frown.gif

Garza Fina :

garzafina.png

garza-fina2.jpg

Garza Grossa :

garzagrossa.png

Garza-Grossa2.jpg

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
Do not, I repeat, Do Not snip them. Your first inclination to open up the tie and pull them through is the correct answer. This has been discussed before and David Hober, the zen master of grenadine ties, stated that pulling them through is what should be done.

Well, how exactly do you putt it through then??

Spoo,

My hands are always dry, especially during this time of the year. I feel your pain.

Cheers

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a simple repair you would use a needle to pull the loose stick back into the tie - without opening the tie.

For a complex repair you would need to open the tie. To correctly sew a slip stitch closing the tie is a lot harder than it appears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads