• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Repairing Deep Scratch in Fine Leather Shoes

gopherblue

Reaction score
I suffered a deep scratch/gouge in the leather of one of my favorite pairs of C&J dress shoes (caused by a granny cart on a crowded rush hour subway). The damage is an inch-long slice into the leather, but not all the way through. Due to the depth of the gouge, you can see the lighter-color underneath the surface of the leather. I took the shoe to the C&J shop in Manhattan, and was told that no repair is possible--only that they could have their local cobbler daub polish in the scratch and buff it out a bit. I thought it was possible to use glue to close such deep scratches.

Does anyone have experience with such damage? What would you suggest?

Thanks!
Goph

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk