• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repair to inside of suit collar?

sippyCUP

Reaction score
Good morning,

I own a navy Suitsupply suit jack which has developed what I believe is abrasion damage to the inside of the collar. It is typically not visible except at particular angles from the front. Unfortunately underneath the wool the material is white, so it is highly visible under the right circumstances. I'm also concerned that this damage will worsen over time due to tensile (pulling) stress at that location. The overall area of damage is smaller than a penny right now.

Here's a photo of said damage: https://goo.gl/photos/XMdmT6YbCuko5Q5w7

I'd rather not buy a new suit altogether if I can satisfactorily repair this damage. Since it's not "front and center," my standards for this repair aren't sky-high - I just want to cover the area missing wool and prevent future deterioration in this area.

Anyone have any experience or advice with this type of repair? I've requested an estimate from https://www.withoutatrace.com/ , waiting to hear back from them.

Please keep in mind I'm not looking for stylistic advice for or against Suitsupply wares, but merely repair advice for this particular suit jack.

Thank you very much!

Eric

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to offer.

But the curiosity is killing me. Do you have a ponytail?

sippyCUP

Reaction score
Haha, no, my hair is pretty short on the whole. Is your inquiry informed by the brush on my sinktop?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burn it and buy a new suit. It is worn out and cannot be repaired satisfactorily

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I own a navy Suitsupply suit jack which has developed what I believe is abrasion damage to the inside of the collar. It is typically not visible except at particular angles from the front. Unfortunately underneath the wool the material is white, so it is highly visible under the right circumstances. I'm also concerned that this damage will worsen over time due to tensile (pulling) stress at that location. The overall area of damage is smaller than a penny right now.

Here's a photo of said damage: https://goo.gl/photos/XMdmT6YbCuko5Q5w7

I'd rather not buy a new suit altogether if I can satisfactorily repair this damage. Since it's not "front and center," my standards for this repair aren't sky-high - I just want to cover the area missing wool and prevent future deterioration in this area.

Anyone have any experience or advice with this type of repair? I've requested an estimate from https://www.withoutatrace.com/ , waiting to hear back from them.

[...]
That's appalling. I look forward to learning what the re-weaver has to say.

If you don't mind my asking, what Suit Supply model is this? Did the trousers show similar wear?

Cheers,

Ac

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Haha, no, my hair is pretty short on the whole. Is your inquiry informed by the brush on my sinktop?
That and the location of the wear. If you did have a ponytail, it would constantly rub on that spot on the collar.

How long did you have the suit for? Some suitsupply buyers have complained of fabric wearing out quickly in that thread.

sippyCUP

Reaction score
Scatterbrain and Academic2,

I have owned it nearly two years now. Worn perhaps 4-5 times. No similar wear to the pants. It's a Napoli.

I think the wear is a result of "overhanging" jackets in my vehicle during a move from the west to east coast. I think there are some funky stress on the collar during the ride that caused this abrasion.

I got a quote from a reweaver for about $160, may go that route.

Then again, why not just patch it? It's not a highly visible area on the suit, and would perhaps prevent further wear?

Thank you,
Eric

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have owned it nearly two years now. Worn perhaps 4-5 times. No similar wear to the pants.

[...]

That's even worse than I thought. Which Suit Supply suit is it?

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

scatterbrain

Reaction score

I have owned it nearly two years now. Worn perhaps 4-5 times. No similar wear to the pants. It's a Napoli.

I think the wear is a result of "overhanging" jackets in my vehicle during a move from the west to east coast. I think there are some funky stress on the collar during the ride that caused this abrasion.

I got a quote from a reweaver for about $160, may go that route.

Then again, why not just patch it? It's not a highly visible area on the suit, and would perhaps prevent further wear?

Thank you,
Eric

I think it depends. I don't like the idea of throwing something away that can be repaired, but the fact that it has this issue suggests that the rest of the suit probably won't last that long either. Also, GBR has been around the forum for a long time and knows what he's talking about. I'd worry about spending $160 + shipping + time only to wind up with something sub-par that would sit in the closet, anyways. Or worse, just wear out in another place immediately next to the reweave after two more wears.

If it were me, I would probably only reweave if I needed the suit for interviews and had no money for an alternative.

I wear suits 4 days a week, and sport coats on fridays. Realistically, in my current position I would probably just wear it as is on days when I don't have court or client meetings, etc., and think of the damage as character. Wabi-sabi.

CriticBespok

Reaction score
It will be really hard to find the same fabric for the reparation. You should ask to the tailor who made it if he can still get that fabric.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Without A Trace is in my local area and I have used them before. They are expensive, but they do an excellent job and have great customer service. Reweaving seems to be a rare and valuable skill today and they charge appropriately. Reweaved areas are noticeable to close inspection most of the time, but I don't doubt that they can make it nearly unnoticeable. I would be cautious about reweaving a SuSu Napoli though, simply because the cost of repair is high and the value of the suit is low. If you really must keep the suit, just have a local tailor sew the holes shut. Save your $160 + shipping and put it toward a new suit.

sippyCUP

Reaction score
Caustic Man,

I like the idea of having the hole sewn shut or patched since it's not a prominent area on the suit. As long as I can maintain the physical integrity, it should be fine.

One of these days I'll perhaps invest in a custom navy suit, but in the mean time I can make due with this one since my wear frequency for suiting is pretty low.

Thanks,
Eric

chippneckwear

Reaction score
Take a navy pen and color the white that is showing. Have a tailor put a few very small bind stitches to close the holes and prevent spreading. It should cost you less than $10.

Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com
212 687-0850

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads