• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repair for automatic watch in Boston

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
My wife recently purchased a vintage automatic watch that she needs serviced. The movement may also need some minor repair. I'm looking for a reliable shop in or around Boston. Anyone know of any?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's the brand? Perhaps a local AD is your best bet, or you could try posting at timezone's forum.

horton

Reaction score
Nothing specific, but you might check out Bromfield street that has (or had) some old-time repair shops for watches etc.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Duggan is pretty good, they deal in quality pieces.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send it The Last Wind-Up in Bozeman, Montana. The guy there is an expert on old automatics and the prices are quite low. You can find his shop on the web.

Buickguy

Reaction score
It is best to get to know your local horologist before entrusting your vintage timepiece to them.
http://www.henningwatches.com
Some collectors I know say this guy knows his stuff but he isn't cheap.
I do now know if he is in Boston but he is located in Ma.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to send the watch to anyone other than the company's service center, I'd send it to RGM in PA. What brand is the watch?

I don't think there is any real downside to not going in in person. It's not as if they'll be able to give you a quote on the spot anyway.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would send it to the service center in Secaucus. Be advised, the customer service people know disturbingly little about watches so if you have any questions, contact the main service center in Bienne.

I believe that they will be yout best and cheapest bet for perfectly restoring a vintage watch.

I have just about zero interest in vintage pieces so I have no idea how much it will cost but have a feeling that it may be very expensive - certainly if parts have to be made to complete the project.

You can send it in (address on the website) and they will give you a free estimate and ask you if you want to go ahead with it. Shipping costs are all yours.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian

I believe that they will be yout best and cheapest bet for perfectly restoring a vintage watch.

While it definitely may be the best option, it won't be the cheapest
smile.gif

RGM might be a bit more, but his prices are just nuts on everything he does.

Jack at Industrial Watch Works in North Carolina is as good as it gets with watch restorations and his prices are very good.

Be prepared to wait for 6-8 weeks or longer for either Omega, RGM or Jack.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two more suggestions...
You might try contacting European Watch Company, a highend resaler of second hand timepieces in the Boston Area. I'm sure they could refer you to a competent watchmaker/restoration service.

If you dont mind shipping, Superior Watch Service (New York) does good work on vintage and modern timepieces. I've handled a 1950s IWC they did a wonderful job on--it went from not running to accurate within 8 secs per day.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
It's an Omega.

That's exactly what the gentleman at The Last Wind-Up specializes in. I sent him my 1956 Omega seamaster automatic and he repaired it beautifully.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
While it definitely may be the best option, it won't be the cheapest
smile.gif

RGM might be a bit more, but his prices are just nuts on everything he does.

You're absolutely right on the price. I was thinking between RGM and Omega. RGM wanted an incomprehensible 300-600 to change a bezel. Omega did it for 199 along with some other needed maintenence that was under warranty.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
If you are willing to ship the watch across the country, I recommend Pacific Time Watch Repair in Costa Mesa, CA. I have used them to restore 6 vintage watches (including an Omega) and have been very satisfied by them. Their turnaround is quite quick.

I would only recommend RGM for watches worth at least $2500. They are too expensive otherwise.

I once sent a 1950's Omega to Omega in Switzerland for restoration. Their quote was more than the watch is worth.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Jack at Industrial Watch Works in North Carolina is as good as it gets with watch restorations and his prices are very good.

Be prepared to wait for 6-8 weeks or longer for either Omega, RGM or Jack.

I received last month a couple of watches I sent for service to Jack in the first week of September... Good work, honest prices but be very patient

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads