• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Renting in NY: Fee or no-fee brokers?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Old Jews like my Mom live in Boca or Ft. Lauderdale. Young guys like you take their turn in NYC. Enjoy it while you're young. I do miss NYC as a place to visit ( there's nothing like it ), but I prefer living in Texas. That might be different if I were in my 20s.
Exactly, and I've been here for 14 years. Ironically everybody told me to get out of the New Yorkers way because they walk fast, but I was outpacing everyone on the street when I was there on Friday
laugh.gif

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I've been gone from NYC a long time so I can't contribute any specifics.

But Good Luck with the move.

Old Jews like my Mom live in Boca or Ft. Lauderdale.

Young guys like you take their turn in NYC.

Enjoy it while you're young.

I do miss NYC as a place to visit ( there's nothing like it ), but I prefer living in Texas. That might be different if I were in my 20s.

Awesome man

Me and my girl are lookin to get married and all that and leave NYC... she wants to go to Florida (her mom is there + loves it, and would give us free childcare), but I want to go to Texas (more legit big cities, seems like there's more to do, I've met cool people from there and every New Yorker I know who's moved there loves it)

We'll see what happens

But yea unless you end up being crazy rich NYC isn't a place to live long term.... def a 'get in get out' kinda place; resigning to the overpriced suburbs or spending my old days in a cramped condo sounds miserable

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Awesome man

Me and my girl are lookin to get married and all that and leave NYC... she wants to go to Florida (her mom is there + loves it, and would give us free childcare), but I want to go to Texas (more legit big cities, seems like there's more to do, I've met cool people from there and every New Yorker I know who's moved there loves it)

We'll see what happens

But yea unless you end up being crazy rich NYC isn't a place to live long term.... def a 'get in get out' kinda place; resigning to the overpriced suburbs or spending my old days in a cramped condo sounds miserable

That's not really true for everyone though, esp. if you intelligently invest your money wisely so that you are able to purchase your own abode. If you have enough money to purchase such a place, when a good deal comes around, you have the money to buy your own place.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, don't disrupt the mythology of NYC being only for 7 figure earners. Even when faced with income statistics at the borough level, people still want to believe what they want to believe. I've tried a few times and that clichÃ
00a9.png
is hard to break.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Jon, don't disrupt the mythology of NYC being only for 7 figure earners. Even when faced with income statistics at the borough level, people still want to believe what they want to believe. I've tried a few times and that clichÃ
00a9.png
is hard to break.

Agreed. I was raised in Manhattan by a single mother on a teacher's salary. Granted, that's a more difficult proposition than it was when I was a kid, but it can still be done in decent Brooklyn/Queens neighborhoods.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
00a9.png
is hard to break

I thought it was pretty common sense that in a city of 8 million people, not everyone is living large... oh, well. GDL, you like living in NY, no?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I thought it was pretty common sense that in a city of 8 million people, not everyone is living large... oh, well. GDL, you like living in NY, no?

Most seem to think those not living large are only in the outer boroughs.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I love living in NYC. I loved it when I was a student with a budget of $1500/month, and I loved it at every stage of my career progression. There's something to enjoy for every budget here. Not to say that everyone should love the city, people have different priorities about where they want to reside and how they think about their home, but every budget can enjoy it.
Originally Posted by chorse123
Most seem to think those not living large are only in the outer boroughs.
Yes that's one of the common misconceptions too. It also happens to be a bit insulting for the other boroughs to be presented as a fallback choice to Manhattan rather than being liked for their own merits. I know plenty of wealthy people who wouldn't give up their Brooklyn hood for Manhattan.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm looking for apartments exclusively in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn. I need my trees. Even though it's a relatively expensive for Brooklyn, the area is still a much better value than some of the ****** 8 ft. ceiling'd, plastic cabinet'd studios that are being offered in Harlem, Bed-Stuy, or Morningside Heights for the same price.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you were in Florida? Moving to NYC too?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm looking for apartments exclusively in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn.

smack.gif

I don't get it with people and Park Slope. Brooklyn has some great neighborhoods, but Park Slope just doesn't do it for me.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love living in NYC. I loved it when I was a student with a budget of $1500/month, and I loved it at every stage of my career progression. There's something to enjoy for every budget here. Not to say that everyone should love the city, people have different priorities about where they want to reside and how they think about their home, but every budget can enjoy it.

Yes that's one of the common misconceptions too. It also happens to be a bit insulting for the other boroughs to be presented as a fallback choice to Manhattan rather than being liked for their own merits. I know plenty of wealthy people who wouldn't give up their Brooklyn hood for Manhattan.

Agree on all counts.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
smack.gif

I don't get it with people and Park Slope. Brooklyn has some great neighborhoods, but Park Slope just doesn't do it for me.

I want to stay a bit farther away from the epicenter of Hipsterdom and have access to the park. I can deal with strollers but trilbies and high waisted jean shorts are a bit too much. I won't be commuting to Manhattan so the commute time isn't a big deal. I'd be open to more neighborhoods, but limiting my search to one area is easier because I don't have to research the area every time I see something I like.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I thought you were in Florida? Moving to NYC too?

You thought wrong. I'll be there in September. Let me know where you hang out so I can avoid it.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I would simply expand the area around the park to include Prospect Heights, if you really want to be close to the Park. If you're OK being a long stroll or a two-stop train ride away, you should look at the Boerum Hill / Cobble Hill / Carroll Gardens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads