• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Renting an Apartment

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
After a spectacular availability increase in my city which turned it into a "renter's market", I am shopping for a new domicile. A friend suggested I aim for the 90% solution, whereby if I view an apartment that has at least 90% of the features I am looking for, I snap it up. My question is as follows; is budgeting 25% of your income for rent and utilities a reasonable yardstick? Is that 25% of your gross income, or net? I've found a super-awesome apartment but it is at the limit of my 25% budget and is a fair increase over what I am paying now, but is far nicer.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I also live in NYC, and my rent + utilities comes out to 37.5% of my net income.

Bummer.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can stay at or under 25% after your net income, you are doing better than most I am sure, especially in a big city. In little ole ATL, a decent apt will run $1100 before utilities etc...so, cable, phone, gas, electric, water, figure another $400, which puts it at $1600. So, if you made just $4800 net a month, that would be a 1/3.

Since we are going here,

Right now I'm paying about 21% of gross income towards rent and necessary utilities (not phone or internet).

I figured mine out, never thought of it, but with phone and internet etc, mine comes to just under 20% gross...but I am in a special circumstance. But if anyone can rent and stay under 25%, I would think they are either making more than they are living on, or they need to consider buying and gaining ground for their money.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard rule used by lenders (in mortgage context, but applicable here too) is that housing expenses should not exceed 28% of your gross income. Â Total debt (including student loans, credit card bills, etc.) should not exceed 36% of your gross income.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Reasonable for a city which isn't New York, London, or Tokyo.

Right now I'm paying about 21% of gross income towards rent and necessary utilities (not phone or internet). If my rent increased to 25% would this be excessively burdensome? I think not. I don't want the rent increase to cut into my clothing budget so I am thinking of cutting out a few other luxuries; my netflix equivalent can go. Do I really need internet access? I did away with cable television 3 years ago and have never looked back.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser; thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear. PeterMetro; gah. 37.5% of your net income? How do you eat? Wait, you are a student right?

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I figured it out and I am paying 11.5% of my gross income in Atlanta. I am moving to NYC in one month and have upped my percentage to 13.5%. However, this is based on my both wife and my gross income together (we are both attorneys working at big Atlanta and soon big NYC firms).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mortgage and co-op fee constitute approximately 30% of my gross income. Â After taxes and contributions to my retirement account are factored in, the mortgage and co-op fee take up about 60% of my net income. Â
wow.gif

PeterMetro

Reaction score
PeterMetro; gah. 37.5% of your net income? How do you eat? Wait, you are a student right?

You know net income is generally smaller than gross income, right? I pay 24.8% of my gross income (only salary - not including investments). I live alone, so I'm not splitting any of those costs. I wish it were lower, but what can you do? If I cut back on anything, it'd be my clothing budget, eating out, and gambling losses (he pulled a f*&^ng 10 on the river, unbelievable).

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured it out and I am paying 11.5% of my gross income in Atlanta.  I am moving to NYC in one month and have upped my percentage to 13.5%.  However, this is based on my both wife and my gross income together (we are both attorneys working at big Atlanta and soon big NYC firms).
I want to be a lawyer, damn that is sweet.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I figured it out and I am paying 11.5% of my gross income in Atlanta.  I am moving to NYC in one month and have upped my percentage to 13.5%.  However, this is based on my both wife and my gross income together (we are both attorneys working at big Atlanta and soon big NYC firms).
Big Atlanta firms - Alston & Bird?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We curently pay just under 20% of our gross for the mortgage and utilities including phone & internet.

I could afford to pay a higher percentage of my income, but I am glad I don't. This way we have more disposable income so we can enjoy life a little bit.

craig

Reaction score
I am in Atlanta and my rent and all utilities are about 15% of my gross. If you know where to look you can find some nice places in Atlanta very reasonably priced.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
You know net income is generally smaller than gross income, right?

Er, right. Did I mention I, "don't got my grade 10"? It makes sense now.

So I've submitted an application for the magic apartment. The landlord is a 7-foot tall viking, but seems nice. I provided my parole officer as a reference. Was this wise? I figured he could best explain the terms of the work-release program (just kidding).

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in Atlanta and my rent and all utilities are about 15% of my gross.  If you know where to look you can find some nice places in Atlanta very reasonably priced.
I have been here my whole life, and you must be living someplace I have never heard of if it is reasonable and nice, because a 1 bedroom 850 sq ft flat in my area is avg price about $700.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads