• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

renewed interest in trad lifts

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
have noticed younger, hs-age kids doing more and more push presses, squats, dead and the like. so happy as there have always been too many noobs doing wrist curls and calf raises. that is all. i guess they have access to better info nowadays; internet is good sometimes.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 it's pretty good. hopefully this means gyms will get rid of ****** equipment too and improve free weight areas.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of it has to do with the re-popularity of "functional lifts". Even the fitness rags (M&F, Men's Fitness, Men's Health, etc.) have started to emphasize a lot more old-school lifts and training styles. Kettlebells are the rage and are almost always used in a whole body manner (snatch, C&J); I've yet to see anyone curl a KB. Perhaps even the popularity of MMA has something to do with it as many of those fighters seem to favor traditional lifts (and hard core training in general) over the biceps day followed the next day by 20 minutes of treadmill nonsense.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this sucks. I love it when no one is using the power racks, considering my gym has TWO of them.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I think this sucks. I love it when no one is using the power racks, considering my gym has TWO of them.

Must really suck when guys are curling in the power racks.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Must really suck when guys are curling in the power racks.

I go livid. We literally have around 60 machines. But only two racks, 3 flat bench press benches, 1 incline, 1 decline. 3 or 4 adjustable free benches. Two seat benches. It's tragic.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
where you train?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ah.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** no, that place is for pussies.

i go to synergy, which has been nice enough to accommodate my requests for thick bars and trap bars and such. to keep things fresh i go to a ghetto powerlifting gym by my mom's house once in a while, or occasionally got to LA fitness with my wife (where she is a member).

NYSC is a good solid gym IMO. i can't stand reebok, equinox, et al.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think more high schools are offering weight training classes for gym requirements now than they were before.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Except those classes love to teach you kickbacks, among other useless things.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could be. Luckily I was fortunate enough to have old school gym teachers who knew what they were doing.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much hate as isolations get, I still have yet to find a compound exercise that engages my calves enough to leave them wasted after I'm done working out. My forearms feel it on back days, but they also recover pretty quickly. I can see calve raises and wrist curls both being justified... Or am I just missing out on a few key exercises that'll kick ******?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads