• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Renaissance-era Denim

etseq

Reaction score
Several paintings have been discovered by an anonymous Italian painter depicting poor people wearing denim in the mid-to-late-1600's:
The origins of denim are cloudy. Both NÃ
00ae.png
mes, France, and Genoa, Italy, claim to be its birthplace, and they both have solid grounds for the claim. The AndrÃ
00a9.png
family produced the sturdy cotton twill dyed indigo known as serge de NÃ
00ae.png
mes (hence denim) for generations, but Genoa claims to have produced jeans for sailors and fishermen since the 1500s. Although those jeans started off brown, eventually they switched to that characteristic indigo color and became known as Bleu de Genes (hence blue jeans). The Genoese material was cheap and popular all over Europe and even in the US. George Washington himself encountered denim production when he toured the largest cotton mill in the country in Beverly, Massachusetts, in 1789. It would only begin to climb the heights of pop culture fame once Levi Strauss started making his riveted 501 jeans in the 1920s. (He claimed in his advertising to have made his first overalls out of denim for California Gold Rush prospectors in 1849, but he was fibbing. His company only started producing denim overalls in the 1870s, after they patented their rivets.) One thing we know for sure is denim was a working class fabric. It was tough as hell and could be worn for years by people who rode them hard and, especially in the case of the Genoese sailors, put them away wet. Cowboys, railway workers, fishermen, beggars and lumberjacks didn’t often get their daily lives documented for the historical record, and while high-end textiles are sometimes carefully conserved over the centuries, jeans got worn until they fell apart. That’s why the discovery of an anonymous Northern Italian painter who depicted poor people wearing denim in the mid to late 1600s is such a surprising find. The fact that he painted the poor going about their business is rare enough; the fact in all but one of his recently-discovered works they’re wearing clearly identifiable jeans skirts, trousers and jackets is unheard of. It has earned him a snazzy anachronistic moniker, too: the Master of Blue Jeans. “This calls into question the entire history we have been telling up until now,” said Francois Girbaud, who partnered with the Paris exhibition. “And that’s what’s fun.” “In people’s minds, jeans used to be all about Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, about the United States,” he said. “Nimes or Genoa? I don’t have the answer. But it’s amusing to think that jeans already existed in 1655.” Ten paintings have been attributed to the Italian artist, eight of which are on show in Paris alongside works by contemporaries such as Michael Sweerts or Giacomo Ceruti, loaned from museums and private collections in Rome and Vienna.
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/7679
1600s-jean-jacket.jpg

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where are your workwear gods now??!?!

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wheres my heritage?

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to hide this factoid in that part of my mind I keep knowledge of the existence of dinosaur bones and goatse while quietly fist pumping and chanting "USA USA USA" in my cubical.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha whoops. I'm on a roll. Yesterday I wore my Buzz Rickson/Self Edge sweater to work yesterday and I got a lot of "What's sexbr. Sexbar?" The font looks well like prison font so the product manager I work with asked if it was something that sex offenders are now mandated to wear.
se_buzz_crewneck_red_01_02.jpg
I am becoming a more terrible human being daily!

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Workwear is for anachronist sex offenders confirmed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads