• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing your hat indoors

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
asshole

Hahahahaha
bounce2.gif
I love that you bothered to hold that grudge for so long.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely wear a hat, but I do take if off indoors except when at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normally remove hat when indoors because it's warm. Leave it on when places are cold though.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back in the day there was a football coach for the houston oilers named bum phillips who chewed tobacco and always wore a cowboy hat ... even inside the astrodome. someone once commented on whether his momma had taught him to take off his hat indoors and he took a plug of chaw and said "yes, but she also told me never to spit on the carpet."

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often don't bother. So sue me. I also rest my elbows on the table.

Some rules of manners make sense. Some are just stupid and exist mainly so aristocrats could look down on uncivilized heathen. Those are the ones I don't give a **** about.

For those decrying the younger generation's abandonment of the rule, deal with it. It's a social convention, and a silly one at that. Those can change, and often do.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see people wearing hats in class and it's obnoxious. I rarely wear hats, except for the cold in winter. If I am quickly passing through a building I usually do not worry about it, but leaving you hat on inside when you are not intending on immediately heading outside... There is just something about it that doesn't feel right.

caxt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

Some rules of manners make sense. Some are just stupid and exist mainly so aristocrats could look down on uncivilized heathen. Those are the ones I don't give a **** about.

For those decrying the younger generation's abandonment of the rule, deal with it. It's a social convention, and a silly one at that. Those can change, and often do.

So how do know when to draw the line then?

When you expell gas from your body is saying "excuse me" now an outdated anachronism?

For myslef I could care less whether you chose to follow basic etiquette rules or not; but your actions will allow others to judge your character and personality from afar.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

Would you wear a hat in a church? At dinner? In my house? In each situation I would tell you to remove your hat. But you're right, social conventions are changing; the last time I told a kid to remove his hat he told me to go **** myself. We were in a cathedral.

lefty

jobro

Reaction score
The help insists they take my coat and hat when indoors.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Would you wear a hat in a church? At dinner? In my house? In each situation I would tell you to remove your hat.
Now if these places where cold and unheated, I would keep my hat on to help stay warm. e.g. my friend's chilly apartment in Guangdong province last winter, I certainly kept a knitted hat on here. From what I can remember when I was a younger, churches can often be quite chilly as well in the winter. I think better to stay warm, so hat remains on head.
Originally Posted by lefty
But you're right, social conventions are changing; the last time I told a kid to remove his hat he told me to go **** myself. We were in a cathedral.
LOL go figure.

drum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I see people wearing hats in class and it's obnoxious.
Stuff like this bothers you? I take my hat off when I enter people's homes, but if I walk into a store or something I couldn't care less. I don't mind social norms changing as long as they don't inconvenience anyone. Taking a hat off or not clearly doesn't.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drum
Stuff like this bothers you? I take my hat off when I enter people's homes, but if I walk into a store or something I couldn't care less. I don't mind social norms changing as long as they don't inconvenience anyone. Taking a hat off or not clearly doesn't.

It's like talking to someone wearing sunglasses inside.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Only okay if you just got drafted.

t1_paul_all.jpg

That suit is terrible. Four buttons. And for god's sake look at those sleeves...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads