1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Removing shirt pocket(s)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Dec 22, 2003.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

has anyone ever had this done? can this be done without leaving any marks?

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I did it once, and it worked like a charm. It all depends on the fabric, though (this was a fair-to-middling department-store shirt in cotton broadcloth) - and you'll never know how it's going to react until you start picking that stitching out...

What I did was to very carefully open up three or four stitches at the edge of the pocket, and then hand-washed the shirt - I figured if it didn't work, it'd be no big deal to just sew the edge back on. Once I saw that the holes had closed up, I unpicked the rest of the stitches, took off the pocket and hand-washed it again.

3. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I did it on one of my Borrelli shirts, and it came out quite nicely. I just used a seam ripper and carefully removed the stitches. Be sure not to tug or put too much tension as that can "stretch" the holes. Once I washed the shirt the holes closed up and are practically invisible, even up close.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

thanks for the help guys. will do.

5. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

matadorpoeta,

I am glad you asked this question. I find removing the shirt pocket the easiest before you first launder the shirt. To make sure you don't make the holes larger, I suggest cutting the string instead of the unfastening the stitching. I personally find most brands stitch the pockets a little low and also, I personally find no reason for shirt pockets since I don't use them. I am on the short side so the pocket doesn't really help there either.

Good Luck in your customization........
    -HitMan009