• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing shirt darts; easily done?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a BoO button down from a forum member (thanks Paul), and I see there are 2 darts in back, which I neither care for aesthetically, nor need/desire in terms of fit. Can I assume it is just a simple matter to remove the thread myself, after which a light ironing and/or quick wash to remove creases & needle holes? Has anyone done this with BoO shirts? Please advise.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I don't see why not since the shirt is too tight on you, probably best to seek the advice of a tailor.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should do this on my Jil shirt. I wonder how much of a difference it would make.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have done it several times.

A dart is just a fold sewn shut with thread.

Cut the thread at several points with a blade, then remove it.

The holes may or may not close up completely, depending on the weave of the fabric.

But basic dart removal is easy to do.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
why would you buy a boo button down?

Because I like the fit in the chest, shoulders and arms, and I just size up 1 to accommodate my sagging midsection. If you're suggesting all BoO shirts are darted, then that's something I was unaware of. I only have one other, and it's a s/s summer weight that fits me fine, and to be honest I never noticed any darts (though, lo & behold, check the closet and there those little bastards are. Much less evident in the thinner fabric). Ah ****, I've probably put 5 lbs on this winter, so the s/s probably wouldn't fit me either at this point. Maybe I should just stick with the Zegna US cut sport shirts that still line part of my closet wall, a size S that fits like a ******* circus tent. You could squeeze 2 of your little BoO emo-boys into one of those babies.

Does that answer your question, or were you simply inquiring as to why I, or anyone for that matter, would buy a BoO BD?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
Does boo actually leave the excess fabric inside the back after darting? I've never noticed and don't own any to check.

Yes, by my measure it would appear to free up as much 1/2" of fabric from the center on either side, tapering back towards the top & bottom. Which is just where old pot-bellied pete here could use some extra breathing room. Ahhhh....

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
Because I like the fit in the chest, shoulders and arms, and I just size up 1 to accommodate my sagging midsection. If you're suggesting all BoO shirts are darted, then that's something I was unaware of. I only have one other, and it's a s/s summer weight that fits me fine, and to be honest I never noticed any darts (though, lo & behold, check the closet and there those little bastards are. Much less evident in the thinner fabric). Ah ****, I've probably put 5 lbs on this winter, so the s/s probably wouldn't fit me either at this point. Maybe I should just stick with the Zegna US cut sport shirts that still line part of my closet wall, a size S that fits like a ******* circus tent. You could squeeze 2 of your little BoO emo-boys into one of those babies.

Does that answer your question, or were you simply inquiring as to why I, or anyone for that matter, would buy a BoO BD?

Yes all BoO BD's A Type have darts, thats why I asked

Racove

Reaction score
Please let us know how it works out. Sort of curious. BoO is a lil snug on me as well, but the sleeves and chest are perfect.

Nuff said

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Cut the thread at several points with a blade, then remove it.

Unless you've got the steady hands of a surgeon I wouldn't use a blade anywhere near a $200 shirt. Get the right tool for the job and it's easier and safer. A good seam ripper can be purchased for a couple of dollars. Five to ten minutes work with one of these and you're done.

As noted above the holes in the fabric may not close up fully even after washing.
With oxford cloth you should not have a problem. Poplins might be a different story however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads