• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Scuffs from Toe of Bl. Oxfords

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Before anyone tells me to use the search function, let me preempt: I did.

The captoe of my black oxfords occasionally receive scuffs. They're not gouges or cuts in the leather; rather, they're light blemishes on the surface. No matter how I use my black cream, these scuffs will not go away. I've also tried using a leather condition/cleanser before applying the cream.

What am I doing wrong?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the deepest of scuffs, scratches, gouges etc. fixed with repeated layers of wax polish. In my opinion, that's one of the great redeeming qualities of calf as apposed to cordovan. You can lay down layer after layer of polish till finally your left with a beautiful patina with no evidence of scratches or scuffs. The gouges on another hand are still there, but the surface is smooth and not so bothersome.

I don't think you will get the result your looking for using just creme. And I can't recommend Saffir Wax highly enough. It's a great product and a little goes a long way.

Here are a few shots of what I've achieved. You may not like the results, but I do. The deep scratches are still visible, but are polished over nicely.
DSCF1536.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Chips' advice, nice shine btw. To the OP: try using wax polish in a tin instead of shoe cream. I find wax offers better coverage and covers scuffs better than creams.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
OK, I thought I might need to switch to wax. I've been using creams, because I hear they allow the leather to breathe better. However, at this point I don't care. The scuffs look ugly, so I'd rather suffocate the leather than allow it to go on. ;p

I'll probably order Saphir wax today; I've heard good things about that line.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regular Kiwi from the drugstore works just fine. The key, as I've learned, is to build up thin layers.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Re: Applying thin layers.

I assume you're applying a layer, waiting for it to dry, then applying another layer.

1. Do you buff between applications?
2. How long do you wait between applications?

Also, I've heard numerous references to "melting" wax into shoes. Is this done by lighter? How long do you hold the flame to the wax, and at what distance?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wes is right. It's more about multiple layers being built up gradually. I cannot accurately count the coats of wax on this pair at the time of the photo, but I know it's well over a dozen, done over a few days off with little else to do but obsess over shoes.

I should note, these shoes didn't have any Saffir on them at the time of the photo either. I have used it recently and received the same results, much quicker, and with greater luster than seen here. They absolutely glow now.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't bother using any flames when polishing shoes. I have used an old silk tie that buffs a glass like shine on the shoe between layers. I use a spray bottle with just enough to moisten the fabric, then buff a high gloss until just after the moisture evaporates. Since then, I have had a few odd pieces of silk sewn up for just this purpose, one for brown leather, one for black.

That seems to work for me.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My routine consists of:

1- 1 or 2 coats Lexol leather conditionner if leather looks/feels dry. Let dry overnight.
2- Light coat of Kiwi wax polish, applied with strip of old cotton t-shirt. Brush. Buff with flanel cloth. Buff with nylon stocking rolled up into a ball. Repeat step #2 as often as necessary to cover scuffs and/or achieve desired shine.

I usually apply 1 coat of wax to the whole shoe, then a 2nd coat on the caps only. I used to melt the wax by lighting a match in the tin for a few seconds, but don't bother with that anymore. Also, I usually mirror shine my caps; if I notice any scuffs during the day, I just buff them out with the flanel rag I keep in my desk drawer.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
They're Crown Aristocrafts from J&M. Handmade in Italy. Probably overpriced, but I think the leather quality is good--at least good enough so that scuffing shouldn't be a problem.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Thanks for the great rundown, Wes & Chips.

One further question for you, Chips: why do you moisten the cloth when waxing?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
They're Crown Aristocrafts from J&M. Handmade in Italy. Probably overpriced, but I think the leather quality is good--at least good enough so that scuffing shouldn't be a problem.

Are they corrected grain leather? When I read your original post, that's what I assumed. Good quality leather will absorb conditioner or cream... This will elimiate the scuffs. A scuff on lesser quality leather will usually last because there is some kind of seal on the leather surface covering the imperfections in the grain.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
Thanks for the great rundown, Wes & Chips.

One further question for you, Chips: why do you moisten the cloth when waxing?

Just a tip I picked up here on the forum. I can't speak as an expert, so you're basically getting my opinion, but I think it changes the friction and allows the wax to heat up better, spread out thinner and result in a glassier shine. I have long ago given up using my horsehair brushes for anything other than dusting off the shoes prior to cleaning or polishing. Nothing touches the leather when it comes to polishing other than micro fiber clothes and the silk straps I made up.

I've repeated the steps above on the same pair of shoes at a later date and got the toe caps to look damn near patent leather in terms of gloss.

Can't think of the member's name off hand, but one of the members avatar on here shoes a few pair that have absolutely glass-like shine, it's almost like a pail blue glass veneer over the top of the leather. Bad description, but beautiful shoes none the less. It's likely a result of a similar approach.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Are they corrected grain leather? When I read your original post, that's what I assumed. Good quality leather will absorb conditioner or cream... This will elimiate the scuffs. A scuff on lesser quality leather will usually last because there is some kind of seal on the leather surface covering the imperfections in the grain.

This

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads