• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing scuffs from Filson Field Satchel?

compfi

Reaction score
Hi all...

I've got a Filson Field Satchel, which is made of Bridle Leather.

It's got a few scuffs from my travels and I'm just wondering the best way to fix/remove/cover the scuffs.

Shoe polish doesn't seem right to me because it would likely rub off onto my clothes when carrying the bag.

Would a shoe creme work?

Thanks!

Here's a picture:

pfilson12231580dtmc1.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd probably use shoe cream. Just rub it in and be sure to buff it off completely. I've used it on belts and never had a problem with it coming off on anything once it's been buffed well.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use neutral shoe cream on mine. Applying the cream doesn't completely eliminate scuffs but it reduces their appearance some. Sometimes I run through the application/shining process twice, which seems to help. But, this case wasn't intended to be a perfect, glossy scuff-free case though, I don't think. The leather seems to attract scuffs easily.

compfi

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give the neutral shoe cream a try.

Stax

Reaction score
I wish I could get that bag with nickel hardware.

compfi

Reaction score
I don't know about the nickel hardware (I think it would look better as well), but as soon as I work through some of the scuffs, I'm selling the bag. I'll post on the Buying and Selling forum once I'm ready.

I'm just finishing a PhD in finance and bought it for flying around to all my interviews and for a potential academic career. I'm going to Wall Street instead so I don't think I"ll need it anymore. The thing is so close to being new (four months old and been on four or five round trip flights and that's it), but it has a few scuff marks that I want to take care of before selling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads