• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Pocket From Shirt. Possible?

Reaction score
Greetings everyone.
After lurking in the Streetwear forum for a short time, I have a quick question that I feel would be more appropriate here.

I have a white shirt that isn't technically anything special, however it serves its purpose fine for what I use it for. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the pocket from it by using an unpicker (Is that the name of the tool?) and if so, would it leave any sort of distinguishable mark on the shirt?

Any help would be much appreciated, especially anyone who has attempted this before themselves.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think somebody previously mentioned that the answer would be "it depends".

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's ever been washed, it's better not to try it. Chances are, the pocket will show. You have a much better chance with a brand new shirt.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think its called a "seam ripper" by the way
smile.gif

arkirshner

Reaction score
I've used a seam ripper on dozens of shirts sometimes new and somestimes washed quite a few times. Naturally the small holes where the thread was removed will show less on oxford cloth than broadcloth. However, you can wet the area and strech the fabric up and down and side to side and the holes almost always will disappear.

What works for me best is not trying to rip down the seam but rather slip the pointed end under one stitch at a time , cut through it and go on to the next stich. I start at the top where there is a double row of stitches because the cloth is folded under which will allow you to get started with the first rip without risking cutting into the shirt itself.
Try it first on old shirts that you don't care about . In fact you can pick up guinea pig shirts at Goodwill and practice without worry.
I find it relaxing to do this while watching some tv show I don't really care about but my wife or son thinks I should watch with them. But then I'm A. D. D. and it gives me somthing beside the boring show to focus on.

And getting rid of those ugly pockets make such a better look.
Don't try this on silk.

Ed13

Reaction score
I have removed pockets from a few shirts and use small curved nail scissors. I removed pockets on 2 shirts that had been previously washed but never put in the dryer (I always hang shirts to dry). To remove the holes I soaked the area with water and scrubbed the backside of the shirt front with an old toothbrush. Better than new since no more pocket.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely possible to remove the pocket w/o probs if done carefully. You can also ask a tailor to do it. I recall my father would have Brooks Brothers remove pockets of shirts he bought there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads