1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Removing patent from Lanvin sneakers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by giorgir, Jul 19, 2012.

1. giorgir

giorgir Member

I want to purchase Lanvin sneakers with patent leather on sale. However, I don't like the patent leather part. Has anyone tried making the patent leather less shiny with accetone for instance? Or it's not doable? Thanks

2. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

It most certainly IS DOABLE. BUT full of pitfalls as well. Make sure what's underneath the finsish (patent) is a reasonable leather or at least real leather, which nowadays is far from a certainty. It could be composite/bonded leather (shredded leather with glue) or vinyl or some other nasty stuff.

If it is real and OK quality leather than I would proceed first with paint stripper (methylene chloride) followed by lacquer thinner (Methyl Ethyl Ketone =MEK). Acetone is a type of ketone but MEK is often more suitable/more effective for the type of finishes concerned

3. giorgir

giorgir Member

How can I make sure that underneath is real leather? I expect Lanvin sneakers to be made of highest quality so I suppose it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot.

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

Assusming Lanvin sneakers are the highest of quality is a big assumption.

5. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Yeah, many of the big designers, whose classic shoes are Made in Italy often have their sneakers made in the Far East.