Removing Patches, Insignia, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I've been looking at snagging ebay or discount-store military overcoats lately: they're often tailored, sturdy, and warm, and would make a good and inexpensive addition to the wardrobe.

HOWEVER I don't like the idea of walking around with military insigina on my arms and chest and I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of these kind of things. I really don't want to be "faking" military service and insulting those who have really served, and I'm not a big fan of, for instance, wearing ironic vintage stuff like soviet stars and so on.

My experience with pulling off patches is that it leaves a discolored mark underneath. Is there some other way? Should I just suck it up and deal? Any advice from avid thrift-store hunters?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Carefully take them off with a seam ripper (For this I like the kind that has a little curved blade) or sharp knife. Pull out the thread pieces, and wash the item. If there are any holes still showing, and if you care, you can take a needle and use it carefully to straighten the weave of the fabric there.

If they are real vintage, they will leave shadows of their former selves where they have prevented fading of the garment, but I actually think that would look pretty cool.