1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

removing engravings from he back of a watch

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GQgeek, Sep 2, 2007.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

Is it possible to have it ground down and re-polished so as to remove the engravings on a typical wristwatch? I saw a very unique watch that I'm absolutely in love with but it's got engraved initials on the back.

2. TheHoff

TheHoff Distinguished Member

To me, engravings are part of the history of a vintage piece and I wouldn't have them removed. I think it adds personality.

3. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Is it possible to have it ground down and re-polished so as to remove the engravings on a typical wristwatch? I saw a very unique watch that I'm absolutely in love with but it's got engraved initials on the back.
    Trying to buff out ed's initials?

4. caelte

caelte Senior Member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    To me, engravings are part of the history of a vintage piece and I wouldn't have them removed. I think it adds personality.
    I agree. The initials are some of the good stuff, besides, your thinning out the material on the back of the watch. It's probaly okay to that, but why get rid of the ghosts?

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I agree. The initials are some of the good stuff, besides, your thinning out the material on the back of the watch. It's probaly okay to that, but why get rid of the ghosts?

Also, some of the old engraving was so beautifully done.

I also like some of the enameled monograms you sometimes see on watches.

6. caelte

Also, some of the old engraving was so beautifully done. I also like some of the enameled monograms you sometimes see on watches.
    Yes, the older engraving was hand done, not the horrible scratching that passes for engraving now.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Yes, the older engraving was hand done, not the horrible scratching that passes for engraving now.

[​IMG]

8. caelte

That's it, jeez, it's all gone devo.
    [​IMG]

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

One of my vintage watches has a beautifully engraved inscription on the back of the case. I also have monogrammed vintage fountain pens. A simple and tasteful monogram adds character.

The most memorable quote about monograms was from an antique dealer on Nantucket in response to some hyper-rich woman who remarked "Why would I want someone else's monogram?":

"These people have obviously never inherited anything."