• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

removing engravings from he back of a watch

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it possible to have it ground down and re-polished so as to remove the engravings on a typical wristwatch? I saw a very unique watch that I'm absolutely in love with but it's got engraved initials on the back.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, engravings are part of the history of a vintage piece and I wouldn't have them removed. I think it adds personality.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Is it possible to have it ground down and re-polished so as to remove the engravings on a typical wristwatch? I saw a very unique watch that I'm absolutely in love with but it's got engraved initials on the back.
Trying to buff out ed's initials?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
To me, engravings are part of the history of a vintage piece and I wouldn't have them removed. I think it adds personality.
I agree. The initials are some of the good stuff, besides, your thinning out the material on the back of the watch. It's probaly okay to that, but why get rid of the ghosts?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
I agree. The initials are some of the good stuff, besides, your thinning out the material on the back of the watch. It's probaly okay to that, but why get rid of the ghosts?

Also, some of the old engraving was so beautifully done.

I also like some of the enameled monograms you sometimes see on watches.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
One of my vintage watches has a beautifully engraved inscription on the back of the case. I also have monogrammed vintage fountain pens. A simple and tasteful monogram adds character.

The most memorable quote about monograms was from an antique dealer on Nantucket in response to some hyper-rich woman who remarked "Why would I want someone else's monogram?":

"These people have obviously never inherited anything."

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.