• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing effect of shirt over-ironing

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

One or another forum, I recently saw instructions, perhaps from AK, on how to remove the shine, etc, from collar of an over-ironed cotton dress shirt. Perhaps lemon salts were involved. Can't remember the rest, or even what lemon salts are exactly.

Please advise. A link to the old thread would be lovely.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Yes,and I believe a similar technique is effective on over- ironed jacket lapels/edges.Do tell...somebody/anybody??

PITAronin

Reaction score
Twilight zone time? I posted a reply to this inquiry a few hours ago and - after being there -it seems to have dropped into the void. To recap, the lemon salts reference was to allowing the juice of a lemon to evaporate over the course of a couple of days and then brushing the resultant residue/"salts" into the discoloration that has been caused by bad or inattentive ironing. I tried it with a small brown discoloration (not a full-scale scorch mark) on the cuff of a Battistoni ebay shirt and it seemed to work just fine. As for the problem with post-ironing "shine" I'll have to defer to other experts.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Sorry. A senior moment. I'd responded to the same question on Andy and not here so pay no attention to the previous reply's intro about disappearing responses (scrubbed with lemon salts, no doubt).

Fashionslave

Reaction score
As long as we're dicussing smelling salts,er,um-- oops wrong forum.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads