Removing decal from Riedel stemware

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by PHV, May 15, 2005.

1. PHV

PHV Senior member

Just got some new champagne flutes. How can I get the decal off the underside of the base? It seems sandblasted off. The little Riedel logo is so tacky and uneccessary.

Thanks for any help.

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Is it a decal? Have you tried soaking them in hot soapy water? Really really hot tap water usually does the job for most adhesives.

3. PHV

PHV Senior member

I'm pretty sure it's a sandblasted type thing. I tried scratching it...

I can't understand why Riedel would do this. Who wants logos on their stemware, even if it's small?

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

acetone?

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it's etched in acid. No way around the problem-- except to buy another brand.

6. PHV

PHV Senior member

Riedel is premium stemware, I don't understand why they would etch a logo into it. The Sommeliers doesn't have it I believe, as none of my parent's stemware has it. Rosenthal doesn't have any logo, just in glass on the base which you cannot see unless you look at it directly.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Do you mean the black and red diamond decals? Or the maker's mark on the bases, like this? [​IMG] The leftmost is a Sommeliers from about 8 years ago, the center is a Vinum Extreme, and the end is a rather older Sommeliers (the same as the older Vinums, except the location of the gaps in the box around the JR). The decals come off with a fingernail, and residual glue with warm water, goo-gone, or pretty much any solvent. Of course the etched marks don't come off, but why should they? I rather like the script verison on the Sommeliers... Regards, Huntsman

8. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

If it's etched....you're screwed.

9. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

It's their mark. It's on my sommelier series as well. I'm quite sure it's gotten me laid a few times with really label conscious ghirls who've come back to my apt. Then again, maybe it was the champagne that did the trick.