• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing chest pocket from shirt

Firstladyofsong

Reaction score
I have recently spotted a shirt that I really like but unfortunately it has a chest pocket. Anyone had experience removing chest pocket from a shirt (brand new)?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been there done that. I wouldn't recommend it. It will always show no matter what you do.
Make peace with the pocket. If you really have your heart set on trying, maybe carefully remove the pocket, then make wet and gently work the fabric to work out the holes. like rubbing & wrinkling it,
then try a light ironing to see if it worked. maybe repeat. It's possible depending on the fabric.
It's a 50-50 gamble.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My experience has been exactly the opposite. No trace of the pocket after a wash or two, and I've done it dozens of times.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the shirt that much a little insignifigant pocket should not be that big of a deal, besides you will always see a spot where the pocket was after it has been removed.

hth2002

Reaction score
If it's a dark patterned shirt, the holes may not be noticeable. If it's a light colored solid or striped shirt, the holes would be more noticeable.

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
If you decide to remove the pocket, please post before and afters I have a talbott shirt who's pocket must go and can't quite build up the courage to take the plunge.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alcohol & sleep deprivation are wonderful things. Now the thread title reads to me 'Removing Chest Hairs From Shirt Pocket'. It's time for sleep. Lots & lots of sleep.

Albern

Reaction score
I've had my tailor remove a lot of chest pockets from shirts and have had nothing but success. I have yet to see one that shows the stitching holes in the fabric as well; even before washing.

Holdemaron

Reaction score
No problem removing. As long you do it before the first wash. We do it for costumers all the time
smile.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive done it tons of times. After a wash the holes are near invisible.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Another reason why ready-to-wear shirts are a curse upon humanity.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Ive done it tons of times. After a wash the holes are near invisible.

Yep, with Zenny on this one - been doing it for years.

I always use a very sharp, pointed craft knife to slowly remove the stitches, taking great care to avoid the body of the shirt.

After a wash, you wouldn't even know a pocket had been there.

I would imagine this would not work with shirts that have been worn and washed a few times, as the fabric under the pocket will have slightly discoloured when compared with the rest of the shirt.

Clark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
I always use a very sharp, pointed craft knife to slowly remove the stitches, taking great care to avoid the body of the shirt.

You could also buy a stitch-remover tool, which is designed to remove stitches without damaging the cloth. Very easy to use.

I've also removed pockets on a lot of shirts and have never had any problems, and it is impossible to see any trace of the pocket after a wash.

/C

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads