• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing buttons from jeans?

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I own a pair of these, and the button in the upper right part of the waist is really bothering me. Whenever I sit down it feels like someone is poking me in the lower back. I'm wondering if it would be possible to remove it? I'm guessing I could just rip it off, but that would leave a hole. Maybe I could get the hole sewn together, or at least stitched up so it doesn't tear? I guess my belt would cover the actual hole anyway.

http://se.zoovillage.com/store/produ...0038296_d2.jpg

If possible, I would also like to remove the "strap" that goes just below the waist. As this is also fastened with "bolts" (or whatever they are called), I'm guessing removing them might also leave holes? Has anyone had similar alternations done to their jeans, and if so, how was the result?

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Oh, and also, if anyone knows where I can get other jeans with a smiliar fit, that would be wonderful. I went to the store today and tried on ten different models (Levi's, Diesel, Lee, Replay, and some I don't remember the names of), but they were all either too tight in the thighs or too loose in the waist. The Pete B (and no-longer-available Ripley) fits me perfectly, but the button thing just ruins it for me.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
sell me your jeans, problem solved.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
sell me your jeans, problem solved.

And go to work only wearing my boxers? I currently own two pair of jeans that fit me, and this is one of them. I want to get new jeans, but I just can't find any that look good (on me).

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
buy the jeans that fit in the seat and thigh. then have the waist taken in.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nordic, both buttons and rivets (on the buckle back) will leave holes in the denim. Its ofcourse possible to sew/patch them together, but it might not look "perfect". As you said, the belt will cover it though, so shouldnt be much of a problem if you take it easy with the actuall tearing...
The classic thing to do with buckle back removal is just cutting it off, but that doesnt look pretty either.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
you might be able to remove the suspender buttons with needle nose pliers on one side and regular pliers on the other side... or something similar that just removes the button and has little to no affect on the denim.

+1 on cutting off the cinch, it changes the jeans but in a good way imo. you see it on a ton of older photos.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^but denim buttons "punch" through the fabric, so how can it have no effect on the denim? It should leave a hole, regardless... or am i missing something?

Regarding cutting the cinch, I have personal dislike for it, after finding a really cool pair of levis thrifting, inspired by the ancient Levis springbottom pants, that have a super cool curved cinchback, like the warehouse duckdiggers. Only thing, the previous owner had cut the off the cinch back... asshole.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
OK. I just removed the upper right button with a pair of pliers. It did leave a hole, but as I said, it will be covered by my belt. I'll wear the jeans tomorrow, and if the discomfort is gone I will leave them as is.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I handed in my jeans today to have them altered. The guy said he could remove the cinch, so I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I just picked them up from the tailor. Here's the result:
22012009204.jpg
Personally I am very pleased with it. He used the left-over fabric from the cinch to make the triangles. Considering I paid $7 for the alternations and the jeans where about $150, I think it was well worth it.
smile.gif

funkyjams

Reaction score
Right then, I've sussed this!
Had to remove 6 buttons from my Levis. This did the trick:
Place denim on floor, stand on denim with one foot either side of the button so it can't slip.
Hook the v-shape on the back of a hammer around the button.
Pull upwards, hard!
Worked for me- only left a small hole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads