• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Belt Loops=Faux Pas?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are the philosophies for removing belt loops and adding side tabs? ive got some pants that the fastening tabs are extended to give the pants a somewhat off-center look (i dont know how else to explain it...basically tab does not fasten centered with the zipper).

i think that it looks kind of weird when i wear a belt, but i think the fact that there are belt loops and im not wearing a belt looks just as weird. so ive been deciding whether i should remove the belt loops and get side tabs put on. how much does that run btw?

im kind of a stocky guy so i was wondering if i dont wear belts, it would have a lengthening/slimming effect on me. im 5'7.5, 180lbs, 34/29-30, 44R.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please capitalize your writing. I couldn't make it past the first sentence.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Please capitalize your writing. I couldn't make it past the first sentence.

Poor grammar on an interweb forum? Who wudda thunk it?
sarcasm.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
depends on the pants, and how they fit you.

The Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
what are the philosophies for removing belt loops and adding side tabs? ive got some pants that the fastening tabs are extended to give the pants a somewhat off-center look (i dont know how else to explain it...basically tab does not fasten centered with the zipper).

i think that it looks kind of weird when i wear a belt, but i think the fact that there are belt loops and im not wearing a belt looks just as weird. so ive been deciding whether i should remove the belt loops and get side tabs put on. how much does that run btw?

im kind of a stocky guy so i was wondering if i dont wear belts, it would have a lengthening/slimming effect on me. im 5'7.5, 180lbs, 34/29-30, 44R.

No problem in taking them off but where would you get the cloth for the side adjusters? There might be enough cloth in the inlay on the bottoms?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The off center part is called an extension waistband. It is the best style of closure because it has 2 hooks or buttons and is stronger at holding the stress put on the waistband. Helps keep the line of the fly straight.

If you don't wear a belt, you should remove the loops so you don't look like you forgot to put your belt on. Loops are a pain to remove because they are sewn into the waistband seam. This has to be opened and resewn. There may be some residual marks from old stitches being removed.

As someone else has said, you need cloth to make side tabs. The cloth should run length wise to match the grain of the cloth on the WB.

Cost will vary depending on who is doing this work for you and where you are located.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The off center part is called an extension waistband. It is the best style of closure because it has 2 hooks or buttons and is stronger at holding the stress put on the waistband. Helps keep the line of the fly straight. Get used to it.

If you don't wear a belt, you should remove the loops so you don't look like you forgot to put your belt on. Loops are a pain to remove because they are sewn into the waistband seam. This has to be opened and resewn. There may be some residual marks from old stitches being removed.

As someone else has said, you need cloth to make side tabs. The cloth should run length wise to match the grain of the cloth on the WB.

Cost will vary depending on who is doing this work for you and where you are located.

WesAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

I'm thinking about removing my belt loops as well. I'm located in New York City -- what good but inexpensive tailor would you recommend and about how much do you think it would cost? I'd like the loops off but if it might damage the suit i wouldn't want to do it.....

thanks

lightsaber

Reaction score
Come on, I've had loops taken off and it didn't damage the suit. Certainly not to the eye of anyone who isn't holding a magnifying glass. Just go ahead and have it done if that's the look you want.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WesAnderson
I'm thinking about removing my belt loops as well. I'm located in New York City -- what good but inexpensive tailor would you recommend and about how much do you think it would cost? I'd like the loops off but if it might damage the suit i wouldn't want to do it..... thanks
It's not cheap. Evidently those buckles cost quite a bit when I asked a tailor. At least 25 per pants and most of it goes towards the buckle. If you're asking about just removing the loops without adding a side buckle, I think that would be pretty considerably cheaper.

effang

Reaction score
interesting idea. i sometimes wear my pants without a belt. i guess i do get some strange comments. but belt less definitely is slimming because there's less of a contrast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads