• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remove stains from canvas shoes?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
These canvas tennis shoes got washed with the leather insole things still in them causing the canvas to take on an orangeish tint in a couple of places. I haven't tried anything on them yet but does anyone know if any method is likely to be more successful than the others at returning them to their correct hue?

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_105830257.jpg
    PXL_20210404_105830257.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 53

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if washing with oxyclean or something of that sort would help.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These canvas tennis shoes got washed with the leather insole things still in them causing the canvas to take on an orangeish tint in a couple of places. I haven't tried anything on them yet but does anyone know if any method is likely to be more successful than the others at returning them to their correct hue?

Try using Jason Markk's sneaker cleaner. It's really effective.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I wonder if washing with oxyclean or something of that sort would help.

This would be my approach. Remove the insoles, spray the stained areas with oxygen bleach and leave it to soak for about 15 minutes before throwing them in a washing machine wrapped in something to keep them from rattling around too much. Oxygen bleach is massively underrated, and shouldn’t be feared nearly as much as chlorine bleach.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If nothing else works, try chlorine bleach. The problem with bleach is usually cumulative—multiple applications will weaken and destroy fabric. But usually one-time use is okay. Besides, if you consider them otherwise ruined, why not?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads