• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removal of Pick Stitching

drj4885

Reaction score
I bought a relatively inexpensive suit (on sale $400, retail $800) last week. Being quite ignorant in these things, I did not know that the stitching on the lapels is called pick stitching, and I assumed that they would be removed. They obviously were not. I didn't quite like it as it made the lapels look wrinkly/ruffled at the edges. Also, I have not seen others at work wear suits with such obvious pick stitching and I do not want to stand out. So, I wanted it removed, and the shop had no problems with doing that.

After reading forum posts, I am now wondering about the consequences of having the pick stitching removed considering that it does have a practical purpose. Was this a bad move? and what will happen to the suit's lapels? Is the life of the suit going to be shortened? Will it in anyway look "weird?" I only plan on wearing this suit for a few years, and it will most likely not see heavy usage.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely, the pick stitching on your suit was decorative and redundant. I can't imagine an 800 dollar suit being constructed so that the pick stitching really held anything in place. And if it had, I suspect you'd know by now.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

bullitt440

Reaction score
Now that pickstitching comes standard on even the cheapest OTR suits, I don’t think it matters anymore. It doesn’t serve a practical purpose on most suits anyhow since fusible interfacing came along. Personally, I prefer topstitching (which is rare these days) or none at all.

drj4885

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer and the welcome. This is a great forum.

I thought the pick stitching might be redundant (as the tailor said it would be ok to take it out), but I wanted someone to second that thought.

GeckoBroSeth

Reaction score
I bought a jacket recently that also has pick-stitching, but it goes all around, up and down the lapels, around the collar and around the whole jacket. I wondered if it would be able to be removed without ruining the jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads