1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Removal of Pick Stitching

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drj4885, Jun 20, 2008.

1. drj4885

drj4885 New Member

I bought a relatively inexpensive suit (on sale $400, retail $800) last week. Being quite ignorant in these things, I did not know that the stitching on the lapels is called pick stitching, and I assumed that they would be removed. They obviously were not. I didn't quite like it as it made the lapels look wrinkly/ruffled at the edges. Also, I have not seen others at work wear suits with such obvious pick stitching and I do not want to stand out. So, I wanted it removed, and the shop had no problems with doing that.

After reading forum posts, I am now wondering about the consequences of having the pick stitching removed considering that it does have a practical purpose. Was this a bad move? and what will happen to the suit's lapels? Is the life of the suit going to be shortened? Will it in anyway look "weird?" I only plan on wearing this suit for a few years, and it will most likely not see heavy usage.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Most likely, the pick stitching on your suit was decorative and redundant. I can't imagine an 800 dollar suit being constructed so that the pick stitching really held anything in place. And if it had, I suspect you'd know by now.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

3. bullitt440

bullitt440 Active Member

Now that pickstitching comes standard on even the cheapest OTR suits, I don’t think it matters anymore. It doesn’t serve a practical purpose on most suits anyhow since fusible interfacing came along. Personally, I prefer topstitching (which is rare these days) or none at all.

4. drj4885

drj4885 New Member

Thanks for the answer and the welcome. This is a great forum.

I thought the pick stitching might be redundant (as the tailor said it would be ok to take it out), but I wanted someone to second that thought.

5. GeckoBroSeth

GeckoBroSeth Member

I bought a jacket recently that also has pick-stitching, but it goes all around, up and down the lapels, around the collar and around the whole jacket. I wondered if it would be able to be removed without ruining the jacket.