• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removal of blu-ray antitheft cases, or, "I'm a marsupial; help me out!"

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
About a year ago, I bought a new Blu-ray player at Best Buy and a bunch of Blu-ray movies to accompany it. In the process of moving houses, I packed the Blu-ray player into a different box from that batch of movies. Long story short: I've had the player set up and working fantastically for months now. And my collection of Blu-rays has grown significantly. All is well.

Except I recently rediscovered that first batch of Blu-rays from Best Buy. As it turns out, the moron at the checkout counter forgot to remove the plastic antitheft cases from the boxes. We're talking about maybe 15 movies here, so I really don't want to have to replace these ******* things. I am aware that I'm a marsupial for not having noticed this earlier, and I accept full responsibility for my marsupialdom.

That said, what should I do here?

a) Attempt to remove the devices myself. (If so, how?)
b) Take the discs back to Best Buy, sans receipt, and ask if they can do it.
c) Some alternative to the a and b.

If you're going to give advice about "a," I'd really prefer if you have the wisdom of experience in this matter. I don't want to accidentally damage the boxes or discs.

Cordially,
AB

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
d) steal the anti-theft key?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
e) steal the key for the anti-theft case that contains the anti-theft key

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You sexy bastards. If you weren't so damned sexy and glorious, I'd be mildly annoyed for the fact that you didn't suggest how to steal the key to the box to the key. For instance, should I seduce the store manager? Bribe an employee? Etc. I need tactics, not just strategy. FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Crossing my fingers I'll get at least one legitimately helpful response before this thread's inevitable retirement to its predestined home in DT.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... how would you go about seducing the store manager?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

With my lovely lady lumps. Check it out.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless they have improved them recently, those things could be popped open with just your hands. I remember I could do it almost instantiously as they werent very good.

Things might have improved, but just get a screw driver and pry the hinge. Duh.

Taking it back to best buy will:
A. Make you look like you got hot items
B. Be a waste of a trip since you can do it at home

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was a retail loss prevention manage for a while, so I might actually be able to help. Most of those things that take a "key" can be popped off pretty easily. You can do it with a screwdriver, if not by hand. In fact, they came off so easily that we stopped using them because the cost of cases was greater than the savings they gained us through theft prevention.

Problem is, I can't remember what the Best Buy Blu-Ray cases look like. If you can post a pic I might actually be able to help.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Nah - not the store manager. Find the lowest-level employee with the biggest scowl and say nice things to her. Say you need some help moving something heavy into the trunk of your car. Smile really pretty. When she gets to your car, shove her into the trunk (see - you were being truthful here), drive her to your house, and make her unlock all of the DVD's. Shag her if those are the terms you agreed upon, and then return her back to her place of work, unharmed and hopefully a little less scowly.

Alternately, you could probably get Best Buy to look up your purchases and confirm that you did indeed buy them.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take the dremel rotary tool to those things. Show them no mercy.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I was a retail loss prevention manage for a while, so I might actually be able to help. Most of those things that take a "key" can be popped off pretty easily. You can do it with a screwdriver, if not by hand. In fact, they came off so easily that we stopped using them because the cost of cases was greater than the savings they gained us through theft prevention.

Problem is, I can't remember what the Best Buy Blu-Ray cases look like. If you can post a pic I might actually be able to help.

Good idea. Crappy iPhone pics coming in a minute.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Pics of the front, top, and bottom of the antitheft case. Please help me get at the creamy Eva Green and Daniel Craig goodness contained within.
photoglc.jpg
photocy.jpg
photo22pu.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cases are still on ?!??!!!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The cases are still on ?!??!!!

If your goal is to hasten this thread's ascent into DT superstardom, mi amigo, you are succeeding. So am I, I'm afraid.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads