• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removal of blu-ray antitheft cases, or, "I'm a marsupial; help me out!"

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bestmadeco-ax.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is that one of those hipster Manhattan-made axes from that company I read about in New York magazine?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Is that one of those hipster Manhattan-made axes from that company I read about in New York magazine?

Yes - it's hand painted. Now go get one !

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Indeed. It's perfect for pantywaisted yuppies like myself.
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
This thread makes me want to facepalm...
My real goal is to take this threak so far down the marsupialed rabbit hole that it emerges somewhat intelligent. Sort of like how the very extreme ends of the political spectrum wrap around and become each other.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics of the front, top, and bottom of the antitheft case.

Please help me get at the creamy Eva Green and Daniel Craig goodness contained within.

OK, so it looks like the box slides into the front/back, and then the little trap door thing latches, covering just enough to hold it in place, yes?

If this is the case, you have a few options:
1) Dremel it, as recommended above.
2) Try to pop the little latch with a screwdriver. This might be the easiest, but if you're like me and want your cases to be perfect, this could be a problem, as it's easy to slip and eff up the case.
3) Grab a hold of the top of the case (the non-latch side) with a pair of pliers and break off the top. The box should slide right out.

If it were me I'd start with option three. It's the simplest and cleanest, and it's least likely to damage the case.

Best of luck with getting them out, and may this threak's transition to DT be as glorious as possible.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pics of the front, top, and bottom of the antitheft case.

Please help me get at the creamy Eva Green and Daniel Craig goodness contained within.

Were it in my possession, I would grab a chisel as sharp as Eva Green's knees and pry the case open. If the case proved too stubborn, I'd grab a mallet and chisel into a seam in the case.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MrG doesn't know a damn thing. A bunch of C4 should do the trick.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
bestmadeco-ax.jpg

I never would have thought I'd see a gay axe, but you learn something new every day.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
MrG doesn't know a damn thing. A bunch of C4 should do the trick.

teacha.gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd take a hammer and chisel and just break off the hinges at the top, then tear it open like an oyster.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
OK, so it looks like the box slides into the front/back, and then the little trap door thing latches, covering just enough to hold it in place, yes?

If this is the case, you have a few options:
1) Dremel it, as recommended above.
2) Try to pop the little latch with a screwdriver. This might be the easiest, but if you're like me and want your cases to be perfect, this could be a problem, as it's easy to slip and eff up the case.
3) Grab a hold of the top of the case (the non-latch side) with a pair of pliers and break off the top. The box should slide right out.

If it were me I'd start with option three. It's the simplest and cleanest, and it's least likely to damage the case.

Best of luck with getting them out, and may this threak's transition to DT be as glorious as possible.

Not sure how to accomplish method 3, given that the top of the box is not a separate piece of the box. It's a unibody type of construction. Barring the latch at the bottom, the entire antitheft case is one solid piece of plastic that's closed at one end.

Tried inserting a screwdriver into the top and side of the case to pry it apart. Managed to gain a little bit of leverage, but could not pry it open. Pliers to the top of the case did nothing.

Attempting method 2 now.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So...the anti-theft device is just a freakin' plastic box over the plastic box that the movie comes in? Boy, that's clever.

I mean, I understand why they'd do that (so you can't take the alarm-triggering thingy out of the box), but how does a plastic box stop you from using the movies? Get a hacksaw at wal-mart for $3 and go to it.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure how to accomplish method 3, given that the top of the box is not a separate piece of the box. It's a unibody type of construction. Barring the latch at the bottom, the entire antitheft case is one solid piece of plastic that's closed at one end.

Tried inserting a screwdriver into the top and side of the case to pry it apart. Managed to gain a little bit of leverage, but could not pry it open. Pliers to the top of the case did nothing.

Attempting method 2 now.

Ah. So it's more of a clamshell? I thought it was the type that has either the front or back open.

If that's the case method #2 should work, though it may be a pain. If it's harder plastic you could just smack the lock end with a hammer until it shatters. All you'd have to do is break up the lock. The advice to chisel it open would probably work, too, but it would be tough not to mess up the case.

If all else fails I'd give BDC's rec a shot. C4 is certain to pop that bad boy open.

Milpool

Reaction score
I'm less about precision than all these rocket surgeons. Just get a pair of bolt cutters and crush the hinges with them.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Method 2:

VICTORY!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads