• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removable Stays

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the rules? Do these only come out when the shirt is laundered? Is it OK to take the stays out if you want to dress a shirt down for a more casual look?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, by all means remove them before sending them to the cleaners.

And no, it is not OK to remove them for a more casual look.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Removing them is a good idea. I lost ALL my stays last year because of a cleaner removing and not replacing them.

I bought some replacements and forgot and left them in after that....the heat from the press melted them and ruined the new ones (luckily my shirts weren't harmed).

Now it's round 3 with the stays, and I won't forget to remove them again!

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely remove them. There'll be an imprint of the stay on the color when you get it back from the cleaners if you don't remove it. Plus, eventually the stay is going to fall out at the cleaners or they'll remove it.

Finally, some shirts can be worn without stays -- it all depends on how the collar sits. Generally, though, if the shirt was intended to be worn with stays, wear stays. The worst, is men who wear a shirt and tie without stays - -somehow, when the shirt is buttoned up, unstayed collars have a way of curving upward, higher and higher as the day goes on. It looks unbelievably bad.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify - you should wear them IF you're wearing a tie. If you're not wearing a tie, it's perfectly ok to take them out for a more casual look.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased brass stays to replace the plastic ones shirts come with. After spending the cash for these I am much more on top of making sure they never see the cleaners. However if they did manage to get in my basket they won't break or change shape.

I think I payed about $30.00 Cdn for a set of 5 2 1/2 inch 2 3 inch and 2 2 inch. I have bought 2 sets and just rotate them around as need be.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
Finally, some shirts can be worn without stays -- it all depends on how the collar sits. Generally, though, if the shirt was intended to be worn with stays, wear stays. The worst, is men who wear a shirt and tie without stays - -somehow, when the shirt is buttoned up, unstayed collars have a way of curving upward, higher and higher as the day goes on. It looks unbelievably bad.

They obviously have not yet learned that large size paperclips work well as temporary substitutes for forgotten or lost stays.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Just to clarify - you should wear them IF you're wearing a tie. If you're not wearing a tie, it's perfectly ok to take them out for a more casual look.
That's what I was referring to by "more casual". It seems the consensus is that they can be removed if you're not wearing a tie, provided it doesn't lead to collar curl. Love the tip about paper clips.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Wow, that felt strange.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelerray
They obviously have not yet learned that large size paperclips work well as temporary substitutes for forgotten or lost stays.

that's gr8! I'll remember that.

fwiw I use the brass stays that came with my tyrwhitt shirts (best part of those shirts, alas...) with other shirts. I also picked up some thicker stiffer plastic ones from Brooks Brothers - about $7 for a jar of different sizes. I usually toss the flimsy ones that come standard with your average sub-$100 otr shirt.

also helps to make sure they are either straight or if curved, that they are arcing down towards the collar bone/chest area (not upwards, which would increase the undesired effect!)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I guess. Obviously, do what you want. But I pretty much always use stays, tie or no. Even without a tie, some collars tend to curl or flap up. I like the fact that the stays help maintain the shape and -- if you're using metal (transparent or not) stays -- the weight helps keep the collar from flopping around. I'm having trouble imagining how there might be a better "casual" look achieved without stays. I can see how stays might not be necessary, but not how going stay-less is going be better than "no harm, no foul".

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I guess. Obviously, do what you want. But I pretty much always use stays, tie or no. Even without a tie, some collars tend to curl or flap up. I like the fact that the stays help maintain the shape and -- if you're using metal (transparent or not) stays -- the weight helps keep the collar from flopping around. I'm having trouble imagining how there might be a better "casual" look achieved without stays. I can see how stays might not be necessary, but not how going stay-less is going be better than "no harm, no foul".

Button-down collars. I just don't like the look of a tieless dress shirt, especially if it's a spread or short-point collar. But that's just me -- I certainly don't expect everyone to share my elevated level of taste.
tounge.gif

heh 'removable stays' -- sounds like an oxymoron.

rgpuppy

Reaction score
the Steve at the Satorialist had an interesting post on this a few weeks ago...

look it up...

kind of casts a new light on this as i would normally say the same as others....take them out for cleaners and wear them in all other occassions.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgpuppy
the Steve at the Satorialist had an interesting post on this a few weeks ago...

look it up...

kind of casts a new light on this as i would normally say the same as others....take them out for cleaners and wear them in all other occassions.

To post a link is too much trouble? How uncollegial...

JeffC

Reaction score
Button-down collars. I just don't like the look of a tieless dress shirt, especially if it's a spread or short-point collar. But that's just me -- I certainly don't expect everyone to share my elevated level of taste.

Agreed, I have button down collars for casual days, but then again I'm 22 and I don't wear square toed shoes either.

I have a jar of collar stays of various sizes in my desk drawer in case I accidentally run out the door without them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads