• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Removable button-in liner in Raincoats. Help needed on details....

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am commissioning a Raglan coat with a button-in wool tartan liner for additional warmth.

Question about the button-in detail:

1) Are the buttons on the inside coat facing, while the buttonholes are on the liner, or
2) The buttons are on the liner, while the buttonholes are on inside coat facing.

Thanks.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The various coats I've had with button in liners have had the buttons on the coat, facing and the button holes in the liner. I did have a barn coat that had a placket running along the inside with the button on it, facing the coat, so that the buttons were hidden by the placket.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all the coats that I've seen with button-in liners - including barn coats and trench coats - the buttons have been on the inside of the coat itself, whereas the liner has the button-holes.

Doc4

Reaction score
I have one of these, and the liner is a zip-in one. It has snaps around the collar, and rubber loops inside the ends of the sleeves for buttons in the lining.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
I have one of these, and the liner is a zip-in one. It has snaps around the collar, and rubber loops inside the ends of the sleeves for buttons in the lining.
Italian made Fay does the that also for some of their fur lining, the zipper distributes the load more evenly and helps the coats layers move more evenly. As for buttons, have seen them on both, an advantage to have buttons on lining is they don't interfere when the coat is worn without lining. HTH Speed

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%