• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remembering Your Spirit

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Couldn't help myself, had to use the cheesy Oprah line in the title
smile.gif
So I've been reading (technically speaking, I've been listening books-on-tape style while commuting) Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People lately. I read it way back when I was a young 'un, but as with most things you read of that nature at that age, you lack the life context for it to have any real meaning. Anyhow, 7th habit, sharpen the saw. Divides you up into a few areas - physical, mental, socio/emotional, and spiritual. I'm decent on the first three, reasonable exercise regime that, other than a few lapses here and there, I generally keep to; devoted a lot of time this year to reading up on Important Things (as opposed to drinkin' n bonin' like the last few years); other than being a bit impatient, I am pretty well adjusted, social and well liked and respected in my community as a general rule; but this spiritual business.... Thought I would toss it out there and see what you guys do to keep your spiritual selves awake. I'm not a religious person (Catholic school beat that outta me), and basically, in all honesty, do absolutely nothing for that side of my...uhh...existence. Yoga? Meditation? What do you guys do? I know there are no quick fixes, everyone's differnt and alla that, but just interested in some avenues to explore.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what does that really mean tho

do you believe that humans have a spirit or a soul?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is kind of what i've been struggling with, but the question that i've heard was

if you believe you have a spirit where in your body do you think it lies? if it can't be found anywhere in your body then how do you know it's your spirit?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
sure, and then we can argue about whether the mind and brain are the same thing, and we will never get an answer. Welcome to philosophy. Either way, not the purpose of this thread, and by the sounds of your post, some suggestions from people who have found things that work for them would be of interest to you too.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meditation is good, or so ive been told. apparently it takes dedication and patience for a noticeable effect.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think most ppl just bypass the question, but from what i understand it's very plausible that the neuroanatomy of the brain is sufficient enough to account for everything you would think a mind would account for. yes it is a philosophical question but the answer is in computation and psychology.

it's just not logical that you can have a spirit. if you had a spirit this idea of ownership would mean that your spirit interacts with your body in someway. but how can something non physical and immaterial interact with something that is physical and material?

anyways in my experience i highly doubt i can convince you regardless of the reading material or reasoning i bring up.

i havent done so in awhile but I did daily quiet time/devotionals and prayer. i've been trying to get my schedule to be so that i can wake up in the morning, have coffee, read, and pray while using the light therapy device.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
what's a light therapy device? those glasses that flash the little red lights?

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
meditation is good, or so ive been told. apparently it takes dedication and patience for a noticeable effect.
In my experience it'll only take you 5-10 minutes of thinking nothing and only sitting there in order to make you feel more relaxed and 'cool' for the rest of the day.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I don't think that any of these overt 'spiritual' activities that you mentioned are necessary (nor maybe helpful) for spiritual development, e.g., yoga. What do you feel is missing in your life? 'spiritually' speaking?
good question. Have no answer. Which of course is what makes it a good question, and opens me up to all kinds of 'if you know not what you seek' scrutiny
smile.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you could try meditation.

just sit cross legged every morning and concentrate on your breath for 30 minutes. if you start thinking of something else go back to thinking about your breath.

benefits are quite well documented

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Reading:

Thomas Merton

Teilhard de Chardin

Smoking:

Marijuana

Hang out with:

Sincerely religious people

Practicing:

Meditation - I hear this is good. Never tried it in any formal sense myself.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
oh, and in case anyone suspected that I am a fair an impartial mod in my own thread, please dispense with that illusion. This will be a snark free zone and I am totally willing to abuse my powers to ensure it remains that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads