• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remembering Your Spirit

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
I would love to discuss this but I am afraid of how people would take what I want to say in relation to the topic at hand.

all I can say is

basic
instructions
before
leaving
earth

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PreacherBoy1611
I would love to discuss this but I am afraid of how people would take what I want to say in relation to the topic at hand.

all I can say is

basic
instructions
before
leaving
earth

Amen brother.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PreacherBoy1611

all I can say is

basic
instructions
before
leaving
earth

go your hardest, I'll keep this thread snark free. I'm not a religious person, but go ahead and tell me what the b.i.b.l.e offers you....

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
wow, this is awesome I get to discuss almost freely!

I will give some testimony. I was raised in an ungodly fashion, swearing, drugs and all that was the norm between my siblings. I grew up and hit high school. I was cutting and almost had sex. The verbal abuse continued and my arms were nothing but scars. It became clear that we are living in the last days and I got spooked at the rapture. Someone led me through the Gospel and I got saved.

I have not cut in nearly four years and have been sober for a year and never touched any drug. Yes, I did back slide into a few things but God pulled me out of it. I have a mansion waiting for me at the end of this race

I may be at the lowest point in my life now but something tells me it will be worth it all despite my wounds and my scars and no mdeal to show.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
how old are you?

I have nothing to really say to that, but good luck with the ride.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
I'll be 21 will be spending it in Starbucks and then church and you could say I am exaggerating it which I would understand but in reality, it is light to how it really is and was.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullrams
When we talk, walk, run, eat, sleep, read, write, what do we need - energy. When we are tired, we are low on energy. When this energy leaves us, we are dead. This energy is nothing but that soul / spirit that keeps us alive. First law of thermodynamics: Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change forms. On dying, this energy leaves the body and changes its form (since it can neither be created or destroyed) to electrical energy, heat energy, sound energy, light energy etc. or into animal kingdom or organic/inorganic form. When changed to electrical energy (non physical and immaterial), it powers up electrical equipments (physical and material)
i think most college educated ppl will tell you that energy is a substance (ie is physical). i'm sure many high schoolers will be able to tell you that too (in case you didnt get the hint here's another hint:
einfun.jpg
) ^glad to hear what you shared.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way too much to get into in a short reply, but my theory/thoughts are that prayer, meditation, hypnotism are all related to "remembering your spirit". All of those activities are versions of self-mind control, tapping into that which is spiritual.

Tony Robbins (and before him Napolean Hill in "Think and Grow Rich") talk about "Auto-Suggestion". I.e., a morning and nightly short but sweet incantation upon whatever it is you want to achieve. This calls upon your spirit (and Nature/God) to help you on your path.

It can take a bit of discipline to accomplish this - although it seems like it should be simple.

These days "yoga" as taught often does not include the spiritual side (at least here on the east coast. California, not surprisingly, is a bit better). Sitting and clearing you mind (which to some is meditating) does not seem like a spiritual thing to me, unless you use the opportunity to focus on spiritual matters.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think most ppl just bypass the question, but from what i understand it's very plausible that the neuroanatomy of the brain is sufficient enough to account for everything you would think a mind would account for. yes it is a philosophical question but the answer is in computation and psychology.

it's just not logical that you can have a spirit. if you had a spirit this idea of ownership would mean that your spirit interacts with your body in someway. but how can something non physical and immaterial interact with something that is physical and material?
anyways in my experience i highly doubt i can convince you regardless of the reading material or reasoning i bring up.

i havent done so in awhile but I did daily quiet time/devotionals and prayer. i've been trying to get my schedule to be so that i can wake up in the morning, have coffee, read, and pray while using the light therapy device.

Don't thoughts, ideas, memories, etc. count as examples of something "non physical and immaterial" interacting with something "physical and material", in the ideas, memories, and thoughts create measurable changes/responses in the body?

Oh, and Matt, I would say there isn't any need to pursue religion as a means to spirituality. You seem like a somewhat spiritual person already (in that you have good self-awareness, and often contemplate your own existence and state of being).

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya, I know. I am not looking to Turn To God, mostly with this thread I am just looking to hear what other people believe works for them and why. Thanks for all the responses so far.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Don't thoughts, ideas, memories, etc. count as examples of something "non physical and immaterial" interacting with something "physical and material", in the ideas, memories, and thoughts create measurable changes/responses in the body?

no

i thought it was pretty clear that thoughts and memories and ideas are neuronal impulses.

for example alzheimer's is correlated with degeneration of the temporal and parietal lobes leading to loss of memory (dementia). in other words parts of the temporal and parietal lobes causes you or allows you to have memories. thus memories are physical.

i think the more interesting question is what then is the ultimate cause of a neuronal impulse, but i don think matt wants this discussion in his thread

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern

Oh, and Matt, I would say there isn't any need to pursue religion as a means to spirituality. You seem like a somewhat spiritual person already (in that you have good self-awareness, and often contemplate your own existence and state of being).

+

I was gonna add something similar. You're in Saigon right? Go out and check out the local temples, try and talk to some of the monks or find people who are also in persuit, it really helps and I don't mean overly religious people but just folks who are in your position. I would like to add more but face to face with some beers is ideal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads