• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remember when you hated getting clothes as a gift when you were young!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still hate getting clothes as a gift because despite specific instructions on size/brand/color my mom tends to ******* up. I am a small if it is a "fitted" shirt and prefer subdued (or non-car stero salesman) color shirts. My mom sends me bright ******* teal and blue shirts size M and not the fitted model... Cant return them because by the time I head back to the US they are way out of the retun period. Thats why I ask for cash for my birthday/christmas. I mean dont get me wrong I love my mom but sometimes it would be better if she didnt try, or at least read the notes I sent her.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I still hate getting clothes as a gift because I'm very picky and their choices are always tragic.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This makes me sad. My childhood blew.

Although actually, it wasn't the System monorail I wanted, it was the precursor, this one -

0715_lego.jpg

******* yeah, legos were the best gift you could ever get. too bad they started dumbing the sets down so much, I think that's why everyone born after '88 or so is pretty much marsupialed.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
******* yeah, legos were the best gift you could ever get. too bad they started dumbing the sets down so much, I think that's why everyone born after '88 or so is pretty much marsupialed.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i always loved getting clothes when i was young. all my life as i can recall. i just didnt like the non-thoughtful gifts from my relatives who would stop by on their way to family reunion at a mervyns and get me an incorrect size shirt in some off color from some bargain bin.

Seriously. I'd rather get nothing than a thoughtless gift.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still hate getting clothes as a gift because I'm very picky and their choices are always tragic.

+1 Fortunately, no one even tries anymore. Now it's usually a bit of cash or a check, with which I go out and buy clothes that I actually like.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Seriously. I'd rather get nothing than a thoughtless gift.

yeah. that was my case growing up my relatives would always buy nice gifts for the popular nephews and nieces but me and my brother got bargain bin junk.
but not that i care, the fact is today, they fear me and my brother. i dont know why. but they cant put a finger on my mom any more (they used to wield power to try to hurt her back when i was a child, long story) today, theyve gone through broken marriages, fights betweenst themselves, lost jobs and so forth, and my family and i are blessed. just a fact that i noticed.
smile.gif

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I concur. Like me when I was their age, my nephews absolutely love Legos. However, I was both surprised and appalled by the fact that when I ask them, "what else have you built" using such and such a set (say a Star Wars one), they just give me this blank look. Like you can't build anything else except what's on the box. Sure the pieces are now more specialized to make something more specific, but that's all part of the challenge.

Anyway, my clothes patron as a child was always some woman from England named Aunt Maudie who seriously thought I must have been hurting in the dress socks department. One pair every Christmas, like clockwork. How are dress socks supposed to compete with having just torn the wrapping paper off of the Constructicons?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best part about getting a new lego set, after building the planned design, was breaking it down to add the new parts to your ever growing bin of legos. I remember building my own star wars ships and such long before the pre-made kits came out. I think that took quite a bit of ingenuity considering I was 7. I found some old pictures of me playing with those and they look damn good!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I used to build mechwarriors when I got tired of sets, let me see if the pictures are still up... YES
desk3.jpg
bushwacker1.jpg
aut_0010.jpg
anybody who knows what mech that is earns a nice xxxl loser t-shirt This airplane is the last thing I ever made, my crowning achievement, and I still have it in my house in the USA:
plane8.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=42060 It could break into a bunch of segments, and had a little folding jeep that fit inside it. damn, wish I could have had a job designing lego sets that didn't suck or something... http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Co...Mechs/cat2.gif http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Co...acatapult2.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Co...imberwolf4.jpg the crazy thing is I did all the mechs just from looking at pictures, I had no instructions, just some 3d shots on a website. That's what building the **** on the side of the boxes without instructions does for your brain, makes it work son!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yes! i made eason's cut off for marsupialedness.

i haven't gotten a birthday present from my parents since I was 15 and nary a card since 16

frown.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
btw, why the hell would there be a monorail in space? seems to me that if you are scrabbling to establish an existence in a barren planet with no atmosphere, there would be more pressing things to build.

ps - Eason, that's pretty awesome

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

yeah, bespoke jackets really can't be arranged and remain a surprise, so my in-laws ended up giving up on that and have started giving me a massively oversized pastel caftan - my wife gets the matching muumuu - each year. I chuckle each time I open the carton and wonder how they'll top THAT gem next year. I don't really get upset all that much but if you ever hear about a guy who shoved his inlaws into his oven over Thanksgiving dinner, that would probably be me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads