1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Remember the Eighties

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Augustus Medici, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Augustus Medici

Augustus Medici Senior member

A friend of mine during lunch set forth this theory on what the eighties must've been like:

Everybody was doing so much drugs, making so much money, and having so much sex that they just didn't care what their music sounded like. They didn't care what their clothes look like, or their hair, or anything else. It was a decade of extremes because it was, quite simply, the crunkest decade of all.

For the people that actually lived through it, was it really like that? Were the eighties seriously that crazy?? Everybody just ballin outta control?

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"Raoul: Do you remember the 80's?
    Bob: No."

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

"Crunkest"? Is that a word?

You didn't live through the 80's? How old are you?

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"Crunkest"? Is that a word?

You didn't live through the 80's? How old are you?

Let's assume he was born in, say '82, he probably has no idea of what went on after 19:00 and in the bedrooms/bathrooms and that's probably what he's asking about.

5. Augustus Medici

Haha I was born in '84 so any memories I can recall are all post '91.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

And "crunkest"?

7. Augustus Medici

Yes, I'm afraid "crunkest" is a word. Don't you watch rap videos?? Everybody's getting it "crunk."

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

what type of person doenst like eighties music?

9. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

80s was a better musical decade than the 90s, IMO.

10. Rome

Rome Senior member

The 90s gave us grunge, alt-rock, rap-rock, and ushered the transition from rock as the dominant music to rap. I cant forgive the 80s for hair metal. I would have to say the 70 seemed like a more "crunkier" decade, the exhaustion of social consciousness, fashion, punk, and disco at their arguable heights, plus people forget what the knowledge of AIDS did the 80s so called fun attitude.

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

The transition of dominant music to rap is a dubious achievement in my view. Modern rap is mostly a vacuous, materialistic shadow of its politically-motivated roots.

The 80s were not lacking in social consciousness - Live Aid, Farm Aid and other major musical movements attest to that.

Like any musical era, there was vacuous pap that got massive airplay, and there was a lot of worthwhile and interesting music as well. For every Paul Young, there was a Joy Division.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

A friend of mine during lunch set forth this theory on what the eighties must've been like:

Everybody was doing so much drugs, making so much money, and having so much sex that they just didn't care what their music sounded like. They didn't care what their clothes look like, or their hair, or anything else. It was a decade of extremes because it was, quite simply, the crunkest decade of all.

For the people that actually lived through it, was it really like that? Were the eighties seriously that crazy?? Everybody just ballin outta control?

no

13. ruben

ruben Senior member

80s music has aged surprisingly well, probably he second best decade for pop music this century.

This reminds me of one of those lame VH1 shows...

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm glad I wasn't affected by the 80s. Growing up in the 90s I don't have any pictures to be embarassed about. [​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

I'm glad I wasn't affected by the 80s. Growing up in the 90s I don't have any pictures to be embarassed about. [​IMG]
    dude, you call yourself GQgeek and we are supposed to believe that you have no embarrassing pictures? Good luck.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I remember the 1880s.

17. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

The 90s gave us grunge, alt-rock, rap-rock, and ushered the transition from rock as the dominant music to rap. I cant forgive the 80s for hair metal. I would have to say the 70 seemed like a more "crunkier" decade, the exhaustion of social consciousness, fashion, punk, and disco at their arguable heights, plus people forget what the knowledge of AIDS did the 80s so called fun attitude.

The 90s also gave you Snow, Technotronic, Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, the boybands, Spice Girls and that group that sings the "Friends" theme. Good Lord Almighty!!! The 80s on the other hand gave us Joy Divison, New Order, David Byrne, The Cure, Bruce Springsteen at his prime, Prince and the Revolution, Thomas Dolby....

I don't get this comparison by decade thing actually. The hair band was not popular because it was the 80s. It was popular because people bought Bon Jovi's records.

I find people who pass judgement on decades with sweeping statements ("70s was all disco", "80s killed punk rock"...) as those who were probably too young, too naive, or too cooped up in their parents' house to actually live those years.

18. NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP

NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP Senior member

I grew up in the 1980's.
    Growing up in New York was kind of crazy i remember those crazy days when crack hit the street and crazy murder rates sky rocketing in New York. The Heavy Metal days also drove people to extremes like abuse of liquor and drugs. But then hay if it wasn't for the 1980's we would never had great music like Police, KRS-1 etc....

19. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

The 80s on the other hand gave us Joy Divison, New Order....

I find people who pass judgement on decades with sweeping statements ("70s was all disco", "80s killed punk rock"...) as those who were probably too young, too naive, or too cooped up in their parents' house to actually live those years.

To further Acidboy's argument, I will note that the 70s actually brought us Joy Division and the 80s New Order. [for those in the dark, NO = JD without Ian Curtis and plus Gillian Gilbert, plus some more recent permutations if you can believe what they say to the press.]

And the 70s gave us Post-punk which led directly to the 80s continuation of that and it morphing into the New Romantics (Adam and the Ants), New Wave (you name it), Art Rock (Talking Heads), etc. Scritti Politti is a perfect example of a band that started as a crazy post-punk marxist collective and ended up as an almost pure 80s pop band (their 2005 release White Bread Black Beer is brilliant btw). Some people hate them from moving on to a pop/northern soul sound and some (like me) love them for it.

There's no "decade X was better than decade Y." It makes no sense.

b

20. itsstillmatt

I think that it depends where you were. In the 80s Los Angeles was a great place to be, as was New York. Washington DC was hit so hard by the crack epidemic and San Francisco by AIDS that they felt like a completely different world than NY and DC.

The music was very good, not so good compared to the 60s and 70s, but excellent compared to the 90s. Unfortunately, Milli Vanilli was from the 80s rather than the 90s, but that is just a random black mark.