• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relying on yelp for Rest. recommendations?

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Is it a good idea?

Some folks have recommended certain restaurants in NYC, but according to yelp, there seems to be better options... with plenty of reviews!

RP

mcbrown

Reaction score
Correction: Yelp is for finding ****** barbers.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Don't understand. Doesn't the law of averages prevail? If 1k+ people rate a restaurant with a certain number, why is that not trustworthy?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use it as a guide. specially when on mobile device in a new city to see what's around me.

I often use Chowhound (or here even) first then write names down on my yelp account to bookmark then go.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Don't understand. Doesn't the law of averages prevail? If 1k+ people rate a restaurant with a certain number, why is that not trustworthy?

When you are looking for a dry cleaner, do you go to yelp for the collective advice of the sartorially clueless masses, or do you check SF for the opinions of people who have expensive suits and know how they should be cared for?

xpress

Reaction score

When you are looking for a dry cleaner, do you go to yelp for the collective advice of the sartorially clueless masses, or do you check SF for the opinions of people who have expensive suits and know how they should be cared for?

En Garde.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I'm totally clueless I probably wouldn't use yelp first. I'd go to a reputable source for restaurant reviews and start there. After I select a few places of interest I may check yelp for a general idea of people's thoughts. For instance in DC I'd check the Washington post and Washingtonian for reviews, then maybe google the place and see what comes up.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yelp - you have to read the reviews carefully. Some are valuable, but most are crap and immaterial to the restaurant. Plus yelp allows places to pay to bury bad reviews, so it is pretty suspect.

Chowhound has a SF-style cult/herd mentality about places, and sometimes it is on track, sometimes not.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yelp review:

We headed back for a second visit as we loved the soup so much. I must give this visit 1 star because they had changed the soup de jour!!!!!!!!????

Vastrm Darren

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yelp has been a good resource of where not to go, but not necessarily the best tool to find where to go. Plus some reviews just seem completely bought or fabricated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads