• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relocation & Long Distance Relationship

ellsbebc

Reaction score
I graduated last year and have worked as a compensation analyst at an insurance company for the past year. My girlfriend of six years recently graduated and relocated to Memphis, TN to pursue her career in biomedical engineering. We both knew it was most likely she has to relocate for her career, which I'm comfortable with.

My concern is, how long should I wait before attempting to secure a job in the Memphis area? I want to allow enough time for her to determine if this company and/or position is the right fit. There is not necessarily a time crunch because I still live at home and have no major expenses (debt free). Is three to four months a reasonable time for her to feel things out?

My director and VP both know my circumstance and are gracious enough to allow schedule flexibility depending on when I want to head to Memphis. While generous on their part, the company is designing an entirely new compensation model for its sales force. I am the only associate who has extensive knowledge of the systems to data mine the data records they need. I can sense the desperation of my director with the fear I may leave at a moment's notice.

Would it be I'll conceived for me to broach the idea of a raise? I certainly feel under compensated considering I put in 45-50 hrs/wk and redesigning and modeling a new compensation model certainly doesn't seek an everyday task for an entry level analyst position.

Has anyone faced a similar situation themself?

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come up with a list of quantifiable contributions that you've made. If your list is full of high-performance accomplishments, then you deserve a raise. Feel free to put together a proposal for a raise. If you do what anyone in your position can do, then it's probably not going to happen.

As far as the long distance issue goes, dude, you've been dating for 6 years. It's probably time to start thinking about marriage. If after 6 years you don't see that in the NEAR future, then I'd forget about moving because the relationship's probably run its course.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

Come up with a list of quantifiable contributions that you've made. If your list is full of high-performance accomplishments, then you deserve a raise. Feel free to put together a proposal for a raise. If you do what anyone in your position can do, then it's probably not going to happen.

As far as the long distance issue goes, dude, you've been dating for 6 years. It's probably time to start thinking about marriage. If after 6 years you don't see that in the NEAR future, then I'd forget about moving because the relationship's probably run its course.

Marriage is certainly in the picture. The exact ring and location are already determined. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening until next year because she has no vacation days this year.

Appreciate the advice on compiling a list of accomplishments.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was long distance for 2 years and she moved around. She finally settled on Nashville and when she started looking at purchasing a house is when I started looking for a job in Nashville. My fiancee has a sister in Memphis and while it is not a great city there are opportunities. I have no clue what the opportunities are for her there but my soon to be SIL and her husband are in medicine and love the opportunities there.

woodywoodford

Reaction score
Depends whats more important to you - career or her. If her, I'd go sooner rather than later. I lost my dream girl (at the time...thank god) because I waited just 6 months too many. It doesn't take long.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

I was long distance for 2 years and she moved around.  She finally settled on Nashville and when she started looking at purchasing a house is when I started looking for a job in Nashville.  My fiancee has a sister in Memphis and while it is not a great city there are opportunities.  I have no clue what the opportunities are for her there but my soon to be SIL and her husband are in medicine and love the opportunities there.

She is in biomedical engineering with passion for regulatory affairs. I get the impression there are definitely growth opportunities in the city.

Did your SO stay in Nashville for a significant period of time before purchasing a house and you relocating?

Depends whats more important to you - career or her.  If her, I'd go sooner rather than later.  I lost my dream girl (at the time...thank god) because I waited just 6 months too many.  It doesn't take long.

It's certainly her. With my math and finance background, my skill set relocates easier than hers in biomedical engineering.

There is no question I am following. I want to guarantee she is comfortable with the position/company and sees herself long term in Memphis. Last thing I want is to uproot myself and find she wants to leave the company.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She was there close to a year before deciding to buy a place and me finding a job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads