1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Texas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wodin, Oct 4, 2010.

1. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

I'm not a Dallas fan, but it's not exactly the polar opposite of Austin anymore. If you move to North Dallas and hang out in Addison, yeah, it's a yuppie hellhole. But there are areas where people are doing interesting things with their communities and fun neighborhoods springing up (Bishop Arts, the Design District, parts of Oak Cliff, etc.).

Likewise, Austin 2010 isn't Austin 1995 - the last fifteen years brought in a lot of money and a lot of douchebags. But it's not that much more expensive than Dallas by my standards - I'm okay living in relatively crappy neighborhoods - and does have some major benefits (Hill Country, SoCo, UT coeds, outdoor stuff).

I still maintain that Fort Worth could be cool if it tried.

Houston is a swamp, avoid at all costs.

2. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Poor Thomas [​IMG]

3. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I relocate often for work and will be on the move again next week to another town, another place. But for the past three years I have lived in San Antonio.

Surprisingly, I liked SA from day one. It is sort of boring and the fatness is epidemic but the living here is just so easy. Real estate is cheap and traffic (with some exceptions) not obscene. SA is not a college town like Austin so it doesn't have an abundance of coeds. However, SA must be the center of excellence for brown eyed beauties.

I am too old to describe the nightlife here (about 10 years older than you), but I can tell you there is a small but active arts scene and (in certain parts of town) clubs for running etc. Unfortunately, the sartorial revolution missed San Antonio (although there are a few shops worth their salt). Due to the general fatness, lack of interest in appearance, and the damn heat, the typical attire is shorts and flip flops for leisure and slacks/shirt without tie for work. I often am overdressed here; for instance, in three years I have never witnessed another pocket square. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with sundresses on women 10 months of the year.

SA feels different than the other cities you mentioned. It is more like a blue collar town although there are many white collar jobs here. Considering your objectives (finding a nice girl and settling down) and your age I think SA deserves consideration. You might be surprised.

Good luck.

4. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

I still maintain that Fort Worth could be cool if it tried.

Actually Ft. Worth is cool precisely because it doesn't try. In a different life I could easily see myself living in Ft. Worth (I lived there for 4 years back in the mid-80's). Has by far the best downtown scene of any of the larger cities in Texas. It's now pretty easy to live there without ever encountering an actual cow. Actually has a cultural mix that makes it unique, but has the advantages of a bit slower pace of life than some of the other larger cities. Has as good (some say better) art museums than any other city in Texas (Dallas would be 2nd). Bass Hall is incredible. It's a college town, so the area around TCU/Colonial Country Club has that sort of college feel.

Scenery-wise, it's about as boring as Dallas though.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I've known plenty of people who have moved away from El Paso. The only ones I've known who intentionally moved there worked for the border patrol.

Gee, I really liked San Antonio.

I had a roommate in college who dropped out and moved to El Paso to do drugs and chase women. Based on the letter he sent me, he was successful on both counts.

Rambo, don't feel bad for me. Houston is a fine city for commerce, and A/C repairmen. Outside of that you really have to look for the charm - and sometimes you head out to the outlying towns.

Galveston isn't far away: our sailboat's moored some 45 minutes away in Clear Lake and within an hour of pulling up anchor we're in Galveston Bay.

Lake Conroe is excellent for boating and jetskis - and I hear the fishing doesn't completely suck, either.

Or you stay in town: the downtown has a great museum district, Buffalo Bayou, Memorial Park. Plenty of runners and places to run in the city.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

I had a roommate in college who dropped out and moved to El Paso to do drugs and chase women. Based on the letter he sent me, he was successful on both counts.

Rambo, don't feel bad for me. Houston is a fine city for commerce, and A/C repairmen. Outside of that you really have to look for the charm - and sometimes you head out to the outlying towns.

Galveston isn't far away: our sailboat's moored some 45 minutes away in Clear Lake and within an hour of pulling up anchor we're in Galveston Bay.

Lake Conroe is excellent for boating and jetskis - and I hear the fishing doesn't completely suck, either.

I think that if I ever moved back to Houston I'd move to the south side for this very reason. When I originally bought my sailboat it was on Clear Lake. I briefly considered leaving it there rather than moving it to Texoma, just because of the ability to ocean sail in the Gulf. For me though, it's a nearly 5 hour drive to get to Clear Lake.

8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I think that if I ever moved back to Houston I'd move to the south side for this very reason.

Yeah, we drive from Spring, and on a bad day, it's a bitch of a drive.

9. i10casual

i10casual Well-Known Member

Born texan here.
    El Paso-Currently living in El paso to run a factory. El paso has great food and some really hot women. It's four to every one guy here. But there is not a lot to do after work. And the violence/killing from mexico is seeping over.

San Antonio- is like a giant El Paso. You have better shopping there but everything else is the same. It feels very segregated. The people can be stand-offish too. But there are some great places to visit around San Antonio, all within two hours. Parks, lakes, Austin.

Austin is real cool but too crowded and the cost of living can be expensive. I like it there though, lots to do and such. Greenery is everywhere. Very run-friendly city. I believe they host a marathon.

Dallas/ft worth/plano is too "texas" for me. It's not that a great a place to live if you're not Caucasian. But there are things here that are found no where else in texas. Like I practiced with a Shoalin kungfu teacher there. They use to have the only soccer team in TX. Shopping is best here.

Houston=hot. It's a hit or miss. I've only been there for concert and festivals. My cousins moved there to attend and teach at Rice. They later moved more towards Galveston. You should check out this area.

Corpus Cristi- good place to visit but can get dull if you live there.

I can't tell you anything about east texas. I'm a French/Welsh & Mexican mix so my skin is pigmented in the wrong way to go in that area.

If I were you I'd live between Houston and Galveston. Great area and you can drive up to the larger cities for the weekend if you'd like.
    Second choice would be San Marcos. Closer to Austin and San Antonio but better living conditions, lots of greenery, great BBQ, sausages, and college girls!

10. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

^^ Man, that border-town violence gives me the creeps. Stay safe over there.

11. JustinW

12. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If your political leanings are liberal ... Austin is the place. If your political leaning aren't liberal ... just play pin the tail on the big-ass state.

13. tphd

tphd Well-Known Member

If your political leanings are liberal ... Austin is the place. If your political leansing aren't liberal ... just play pin the tail on the big-ass state.

true that. Houston's openly gay mayor is a sure sign of a super-conservative hick town.

14. JustinW

true that. Houston's openly gay mayor is a sure sign of a super-conservative hick town.

2008 Harris County (Houston) presidential results were also less than super-conservative:

John McCain\t REP\t 571,883\t 48.81%
    Barack Obama\t DEM\t 590,982\t 50.44%
    Bob Barr\t LIB\t 6,783\t 0.57%

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I said nothing of hick town ... but that election is hardly an indicator of conservative vs. liberal when it comes to the Houston area. In that election only 150,000 citizens turned out to cast ballots. Houston has a population of 2,200,000. Moreover, there were other circumstances sorrounding that particular election that made it unique.

As more and more people of means flee to Houston's suburbs -- the population of greater houston is 5.7 million ... that's 3.5 million who live outside the city limits -- Houston is left with a large population of poor. While Houson does have a decent liberal community ... among the "white collar" residents in and around Houston ... conservative viewpoints are in the majority.

16. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Actually Ft. Worth is cool precisely because it doesn't try. In a different life I could easily see myself living in Ft. Worth (I lived there for 4 years back in the mid-80's). Has by far the best downtown scene of any of the larger cities in Texas. It's now pretty easy to live there without ever encountering an actual cow. Actually has a cultural mix that makes it unique, but has the advantages of a bit slower pace of life than some of the other larger cities. Has as good (some say better) art museums than any other city in Texas (Dallas would be 2nd). Bass Hall is incredible. It's a college town, so the area around TCU/Colonial Country Club has that sort of college feel.

Scenery-wise, it's about as boring as Dallas though.

I agree with you about 75% and that's why I'm a FW booster (for the most part, and my real love is for the ghetto-ass Northside and Eastside) - even with the Arts District and a decent downtown (personally, I won't venture there on weekends, just too much of a PITA to drink anywhere near Sundance) and so on, I want the city to encourage the funky side more, as Austin always has. Affordable space near downtown for young people, more unique small boutiques/shops, etc.., an area like Deep Ellum (as it once was and may soon be again) or Lower Greenville with lots of clubs and bars putting on good local music. It's a nice enough city that could encourage young adults a lot more.

I don't put a lot of stock into the TCU influence - for a college scene, they're deeply uninteresting. Even more than SMU.

17. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

If your political leanings are liberal ... Austin is the place. If your political leaning aren't liberal ... just play pin the tail on the big-ass state.

Dallas's Sheriff is a gay Latina, and I believe it went for Obama in 2008. Might have even gone Kerry in '04.

18. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Now Houson does have a decent liberal community ... but among the "white collar" residents in and around Houston ... conservative viewpoints are in the majority.

That's true of almost all major metro areas, the nature of suburbia. Holds true in Texas for Austin (Georgetown, Round Rock), Dallas (Plano, Frisco, Richardson), Houston (Sugar Land, etc.) and presumably San Antonio.

19. Spats

Spats Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, I liked SA from day one. However, SA must be the center of excellence for brown eyed beauties.

Good luck.

San Antonio was great until they perfected high-fructose corn syrup. SA really took to it and it distorted their women to unrecognizable proportions.

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

That's true of almost all major metro areas, the nature of suburbia. Holds true in Texas for Austin (Georgetown, Round Rock), Dallas (Plano, Frisco, Richardson), Houston (Sugar Land, etc.) and presumably San Antonio.
    Yes, but Austin has within its city limits a greater percentage of the population that is liberal, educated and at least of some economic means.

This is not to suggest that Austin isn't surrounded by conservatives (see map at bottom).

I'll let some bloggers -- two of the names are "something else" -- from City-Data.com say it for me:

CentralAustinite: There are some deep blue precincts in the central city but yes, we are liberal for Texas not the US as a whole. i.e. you can be a meat-eating, gun-owning, church-attending democrat here and not raise eyebrows. You can be a pacificist, vegan too but that won't be your only option.

And Texas remains a low-tax, low service state that prides itself on being friendly to "bidness

Trainwreck20: Austin is one of about 4 or 5 counties (out of 256?) in the entire state that voted against Bush. Tolerant is a good word, though. Local politics regarding environment and develpoment usually get the most attention, though. Lots of 'liberal' republicans and 'conservative' democrats around here to go with the extremes.

A litmus test - if the 6'4" guy with the beard, bikini, and high heels gets under your skin, then you might have an issue with Austin. If you just find it amusing, then you will be fine :).

Spoolmeister: Liberal is relative as I've learned from a previous inquiry, so my suggestion would be stay as far north as you possibly can. While the CenTex area is tolerant of opposing and divergent views regardless, any one who takes the opinions of the "no spin zone" and Rush Limbaugh as gospel, is probably not going to feel very comfortable unless they're very well informed and can argue their points without quoting either as their source.

And below is the map for the 2008 Presidential Election.

[​IMG]