• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Religious and Philosophical Objections to Fabrics

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Jews and Muslims object to wearing certain combinations of fabrics. Some vegans and animal-rights people have problems with leather and fur. What other religious and philosophical objections to fabrics exist? For example, someone here relayed a claim that Hindus, presumably the strict ones, will wear leather if the cow died of old age.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have problems with synthetic materials. That and I much prefer lamb's wool.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
For example, someone here relayed a claim that Hindus, presumably the strict ones, will wear leather if the cow died of old age.

I wonder, then, if the same Hindu would eat steak that came from the same cow.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
For example, someone here relayed a claim that Hindus, presumably the strict ones, will wear leather if the cow died of old age.
Good luck with that.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I wonder, then, if the same Hindu would eat steak that came from the same cow.
Good luck with that.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
I have problems with synthetic materials. That and I much prefer lamb's wool.

That's not quite what the question was about, unless there's a major environmentalist element involved.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have close relatives who won't wear silk because silkworms die when the cocoons are taken. I am Hindu by birth, by the way.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the Bible, it`s a sin to wear mixed fabrics (like linen/wool blends). Apparently since you are allowed to pick which portions of the Bible you believe in, no one really follows this rule though.
laugh.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
According to the Bible, it`s a sin to wear mixed fabrics (like linen/wool blends). Apparently since you are allowed to pick which portions of the Bible you believe in, no one really follows this rule though.
laugh.gif

+1

laugh.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
laugh.gif

Well, that all depends on who you are. "apparently", some people follow all the rules and don't subscribe to "cafeteria" religion (I'll have a bit of this and that).

When god went to the nations of the world, they all asked what the rules were. When god went to the jews, they said "na-aseh vanishma" - we will do, and then we will understand. That's faith.

PS - For those who don't know, the wool and linen thing comes from Cain and Abel. The one was a sheppard (wool) and the other a farmer (linnen), because one was good and the other evil, symbolically it's customary not to mix the two...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
PS - For those who don't know, the wool and linen thing comes from Cain and Abel. The one was a sheppard (wool) and the other a farmer (linnen), because one was good and the other evil, symbolically it's customary not to mix the two...

Oh, man...I have a cashmere-linen Borrelli Sorrento jacket...goddamn goat...ooops...I meant, bad goat...

- B

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone have a problem with Bamboo? Think of the Pandas, oh please, why won't anyone think of the pandas!?

I mean, imagine WWF protesters throwing paint on your new blazer chanting, "Bamboo is Murder"
Lol

nsoltz

Reaction score
Many observant Jews do not wear garments of wool and flax (animal+vegetable). The Biblical term is "shaatnez" and in certain ultra Orthodox areas (read Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Monsey in Rockland County) you will see garments rabbinically certified not to contain mixed fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads