• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reliable car for student in Florida

henrikc

Reaction score
So, a friend of mine is going to study in Florida in a month or so, and she will need a car.
Since she's a student and tuition to Delta Flight Academy is quite high, and the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (yeah, the state gives us a great loan (no interest while studying and low interest when paying back)) won't support this education, a cheap and reliable car is necessary.

What would you recommend? Honda Civics from early 2000? Trying to keep a price range around $6000, could probably go up a little if necessary, but all suggestions are welcome.
Doesn't have to be a MPV, but I'm sure it could be nice with at least some room for friends, so 4 seats minimum.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. I've had both in my time down here and they get the job done. Just remind her that she'll have to drive everywhere so whatever she buys should get very good gas mileage.

BP348

Reaction score
Corolla

Depending on the girl and if MPG's are the most important then I'd say a 2002 - 2004 VW Jetta TDI. The only problem with the Jetta is they are a little more hands on. for most people I'd recommend the corolla or civic. I've heard good things about the new malibu but I don't know how much they cost.

henrikc

Reaction score
All right, so looking at fairly new Japanese cars.
Those are quite popular here in Norway as well, so she could probably try some of them here to find out which one she likes the best before wasting time running around in Florida test driving them.

VW could be a decent choice as well. Passat could probably also be of interest, it's a fairly large car and might be found quite cheap.
How popular are Golfs in Florida? Hard to come by? VW Golf is the best selling car in Norway, and could probably be a good choice as well if they're easy to find in good shape.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, tell her to get a VW if she wants to waste money fixing it every week.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur

Sadly, I've heard this issue among many VW Jetta/Passat owners of 02-06 models (or thereabout).

Civic or Corolla would be VERY safe choices. Hyundai Elantra, the recent models, are supposed to be pretty decent as well. Mazda 3 is another option with more character but a bit higher in price.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were a true friend you wouldn't let her go to Delta Academy. Tell her to get a real degree and do her flying on the side. Not worth the high price that schools like that charge.

henrikc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
If you were a true friend you wouldn't let her go to Delta Academy. Tell her to get a real degree and do her flying on the side. Not worth the high price that schools like that charge.
Who am I (or you for that matter) to tell people what to do with their lives?

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Sadly, I've heard this issue among many VW Jetta/Passat owners of 02-06 models (or thereabout).

Civic or Corolla would be VERY safe choices. Hyundai Elantra, the recent models, are supposed to be pretty decent as well. Mazda 3 is another option with more character but a bit higher in price.

I've heard that for the VW Jetta/Beetle. Passat, Golf, and GTIs have been solid from my understanding (and probably due to the country of origin/manufacturing).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velobran
I've heard that for the VW Jetta/Beetle. Passat, Golf, and GTIs have been solid from my understanding (and probably due to the country of origin/manufacturing).

I suppose we have heard differently, but all my friends save one who have owned them have complained about time in the shop or having to fix things themselves. My good friend's brother has a shop and says he gets a lot of VW's in general as well. This is all really anecdotal...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only owned Euros (BMW, VW, SAAB, Land Rover, Audi) and they are definitely hands-on.

As much as I hate Honda I say go with a Civic.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Who am I (or you for that matter) to tell people what to do with their lives?

funny comeback...

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur

I have a 2004 Golf TDI & a 2006 Jetta TDI for more then 2 years now and haven't had a single problem with either. I've heard that the gas VW have problems but not the diesels. Plus I have a 70 mile commute to work so I'm really liking the 40+ MPG's.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I have a 2004 Golf TDI & a 2006 Jetta TDI for more then 2 years now and haven't had a single problem with either. I've heard that the gas VW have problems but not the diesels. Plus I have a 70 mile commute to work so I'm really liking the 40+ MPG's.

VW really depends on which car you get. You could take 2 of the exact same year model, trim, engine, etc Jettas and one would have a bunch of little issues and frustrations and the other would only need to scheduled maintenance and run like a champ.

If you're a person who tends to have bad luck with cars in general, stay away from VW because you'll probably get the one that needs to be repaired a lot.

Saying that, I've had some issues with VWs that I have owned, but no repairs outside of normal car ownership.

If you find one that has been well maintained (documented maintenance) and in decent shape it should be a pretty reliable car.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scheduled maintenance on a VW is the important part...if you fall behind, things can go wrong fast.

Of course if the only thing you are going for is a combination of low cost and high reliability...VW is probaly not the right bet. You'd be better off picking something with crappier plastic, larger gaps, and less refinement like a honda or a toyota and driving it into the ground.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads