• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REISS Personal Tailoring

Sleats

Reaction score
Not wanting to jump in and high-jack a post for self gain as I think it is important that fundamentally you must select a company that makes suits most akin to the style you are personally looking for... for example suitsupply and myself make a very different suits. Suitsupply make an Italian jacket, with high button point and us making a structured English coat - construction aside the style must be right for you to.

We do not though in-fact make a made to measure suit per say - we make a paper pattern for every customer which is unique to every customer and is not done by adjusting a pattern but cut by us in the same way as our full handmade bespoke suits. So the control the customer and us the tailor has over the suit is total. We do though with our opening level suit sew as much by machine as possible but hand pad the lapels etc to give it a more "bespoke look" where as most suits in a M2M is 100% machine sewn.

If in doubt ask to speak to the cutter and look at examples of work for whatever tailor you go and see but do bare in mind that M2M you do have less control over what is made.

Best place to start therefore is to think what style you like/want and then work out who makes that and take it from there.

The 3 guys you mention:
E&R - classic English looking suit (same ilk as Hackett, G&H, etc etc).
us - Structured tailoring, pronounced rope shoulder, higher arm hole etc.
Suit-supply - Italian light weight suits..soft construction. higher button stance.

Please do feel free to contact me and I will try and give you as an unbiased an opinion as is humanly possible!

Sleats

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirtyturk
Thanks Macallan, this is my question exactly. Why would C&D's SUIT be better than someone else's??

I cannot compare C&D to other mtm or bespoke options, as I have not tried others in the same or similar price bracket. C&D was mentioned earlier in the thread and would 'second it' as an option. In terms of 'bang-for-buck' their mid-range option is the best.

I think both C&D guys were bankers not accountants; however, they do have Steed's brother (Steed = Edwin DeBoise) as their cutter, who is a tailor by trade (http://www.castletailors.com/suits.php).

Is Suit Supply better than C&D - could be

Out the three options Sleats has mentioned I do prefer the classic English look, I wear RTW Gieves to work.

Reaction score
My tailor said that the quality of the Reiss suit I brought him for alterations (it was a wool-mohair "Collins" model) was excellent, he was really impressed by the cloth - not by the cut though. He said a cloth like that would cost quite much (if you purchase some meters for a bespoke suit I mean).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads