• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regular or Long

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
I currently have a 38L suit. I weigh about 170 pounds and i am exactly 6" tall
Should i be wearing a Regular suit or long?

Thanks

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depending on the cut of the jacket and your body porportions.

i am 215lb, 6' and wears jacket length between 31" to 32".

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those stats don't tell us anything. Long is determined by the length of torso and length of arm to a large degree. I've a buddy who is 6'3" but wears a regular because he "is only tall" in the legs.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Ok. sorry i am new to all this measuring. Can you give me quick and simple details to measuring to give you the details?

Thanks

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Shoulder width: 17inches
Sleeve: 26inches
Length(from the bottom of the collar at the shoulder seam down to the bottom of the coat): 32inches

Let me know

The reason i ask is that i feel that a regular would look better but i am not sure if it is just me.
Thanks

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Rayford, this question can not be answered with a rule of thumb or a formula. You need to try on both a Reg and a Long and see which one fits you better.

I have both, Reg and Long jackets. I felt the Longs were too long in the tail and I felt that shorter jackets were more reflective of the current trends, so I bought a Reg in the same size as my Long, from the same Mfr; what a mistake! Sure, the length is more trendy, but when I button the button, it seems too high for my torso and cuts me in a wierd way. If you are asking because you want to buy online or buy on ebay, then I highly recommend you spend an afternoon at a nice suit store trying on the brands that interest you before you buy online.

Also, be sure to note the style/model as well as the brand. At Brooks Bros, the 42L Golden Fleece fits differently from the 42L 1818 model; at RL, the 42L Polo I, II, III, and IV models and the 42L RLPL and RLBL models all fit differently. The good news is that once you invest the time to find the one that fits, then you can buy online for several subsequent suits/jackets.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
smile.gif
no i do not buy suits online. The suit i am unsure about is a Michael Kors 2 button black suit. I am looking at getting a RL (have not chosen the model yet - usually depends on what models my suit guy has in stock, but i have leaning towards just getting from tailored suits made) The problem i have is that when i try the regular is seems fine as well. My issue is that i feel that it hangs two low past my crotch. THe back hangs about an inch and a half below where my but ends. WHen i make a fist the suit hangs to the joints on my fingers (past my knuckles (the name for the joints escapes me :s ) ) Thanks

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Sounds like you are in between sizes (like me) and can go either way. If you prefer 2 button suits, then there is less chance a Reg would cut your torso in a funny way. Also, it sounds like you have already resigned to getting the Reg. Without pics, I'm failry confident it will work for you.

The real problem I see, however, is that you are considering a BLACK suit. Are you a mortician, a Johnny Cash impersonator, or a sales clerk at a Gucci store?

I see you're new to SF, so I should explain the sarcasm. You'll find that black suits don't get a lot of love here. Welcome to SF!
smile.gif

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
smile.gif
No i am not looking at getting another black suit. The MK suit i just seem to have issues with when i put it on, is black. Is my issue with thinking the suit seems a little too long around the crotch just a look thing or what? Thanks

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Yes, it's a look thing. It's also a trend thing. In the 1980s, suit jackets were longer, armholes were lower, the lapels wider, and the notch on the lapel was much lower. Pants were fuller and pleated. Now, suit jackets are shorter, armholes higher, lapels thinner, and the notch on the lapels higher. Pants are slimmer and flat front. Its cyclical, and from what you've described, I'd say you are just trying to keep ride with the current trend. Go for the Reg--you'll look great and feel more confident. Cheers,

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
What do you mean from what you read?
smile.gif
I am pretty open to suit styles.
smile.gif

yo!

Reaction score
I am 6' 1/2" and wear a 40. I am right between needing a R and a L. I prefer regulars because the pants will be regular rise rather than tall rise and like I said, I am right on the edge and I prefer the shorter to the longer.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
I find it looks sloppy when i put my hands in my pockets. It feels like the bottom of my suit it popping way out.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads