1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Regrettable PURCHASES

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

1. A pair of cowboy boots. I'm not a cowboy and live in the city. 2. Several cheap ties. After I bought my first Robert Talbot I can no longer stomach cheap ties. 3. 3 or 4 checked shirts, but with french cuffs. The cuffs look stupid on a casual pattern. 4. A shirt with a design that looks like the static electricity pattern you see on those psychedelic lightening lamps when you touch the glass. WTF was I thinking? 5. A pair of J & M wingtips. Calling them plasticky is an insult to plastic. 6. A pair of square-toe Mezlan shoes. The most uncomfortable ugly shoes I ever bought. Wore them once, and that was once too often. 7. A pair of Taryn Rose 'tan' boat shoes. They have an ugly pink cast to them that did not show in the photos. 8. A Canali suit. Love the suit, but paid full retail. 9. A pair of pure white cotton pants. Still have had no occasion to wear them. Still have the gallon of bleach waiting should I ever wear them. 10. A black dress shirt-- I don't go clubbing. Not that bad. I guess, but still about $2000 in mistakes/overpayment.
    What's wrong with that? Jantzen has some as his fabric samples! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Well, to be fair, Jantzen has some shirts as samples that I will not forget no matter how hard I try. Those look ok, though, and the juxtaposition between the formality of the French cuff and the relatively casual pattern works, or at least can work with the right stuff.

3. WN2

WN2 Senior member

I bought an Armani Jeans zip sweater couple of years ago. Not that it's ugly but it cost 250€ and quality is very mediocre. I think I just had gotten a bonus or something.

4. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Well, to be fair, Jantzen has some shirts as samples that I will not forget no matter how hard I try. Those look ok, though, and the juxtaposition between the formality of the French cuff and the relatively casual pattern works, or at least can work with the right stuff.
    Yeah....with some of them, he kind of seems to be saying LOOK! I HAVE NO SHAME! I WILL MAKE WHATEVER MONSTROSITY YOU WANT! [​IMG] and this beauty: [​IMG] [​IMG] The button arrangements on these collars look positively H.R. Geigeresque. I would be there all day just fiddling with those little fuckers. And I ALWAYS get a double collar stand. It looks better with and without a tie. Oh, I regret purchasing a pair of Aldo boots which are now beginning to look very tired after 3 years. The only thing that keeps them in my rotation is the fact that I don't have presentable black boots. I also regret buying an Xbox - it keeps sucking up time I could more productively use. I'm starting to wonder if I will regret the 900lb RAF topcoat I just recieved - I'm not sure on which side of the cool/ridiculous line it falls.

5. Flame

Flame Senior member

- Collecting rare Nikes: I had at least 35 pairs at one point.....idiot - I paid $300 for a horrible 3-btn Nautica suit.......amazingly bad quality
    Man, you too? Thank god I only was a hypebeast for 6 months. My 3 button chocolate brown Strellson suit is still hanging somewhere in the closet. I paid around $300 for it but oh well, better find a less satorially-minded friend to dump it off for some cash. I also realize big down jackets are warm, but look incredibly bulky and stupid. Still trying to offload my old spiewak. And yes, my old J&M captoes that were made from shiny plastic.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I also realize big down jackets are warm, but look incredibly bulky and stupid. Still trying to offload my old spiewak.

They're back!

7. Stylez

Stylez Well-Known Member

I'm going to Cairo in a few months....where was this tailor????

It was in Dubai, it was located in Mina. I cant really remember the name of the place but I think it was associated with a ladies tailor boutique called DreamGirl.

8. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

What's wrong with that? Jantzen has some as his fabric samples!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both those are less casual patterns than my regrettables.

9. Max

Max Senior member

70s YSL fits me really well, so I bought a YSL jacket on eBay. The auction said it was a 42. I'm pretty sure the actual chest measures around a 48. My chest is about a 38 when I actually measured it. Only $20, but still.

Powerfully ugly perry ellis jacket I got for like 75% off. It's some sort of blue stripey material that isn't pinstripe, but it's sewn with gold/orange thread like a pair of jeans. It's so awful; I wore it once and it sits in my closet at home.

10. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

My infamous Paul Smith shirt.

I bought it off ScoopNYC. Not only was the color not exactly what I expected, I was quite shocked to find that it had a Nehru collar.

I've never worn it. I'll never do.

11. Wade M

Wade M Senior member

I know it's strange, but i regret buying my Rag and Bone RB6's. I wish i had gone with an 11, and i wish i had gone with a longer inseam. It taught me to never shop stoned.

Have been very close to making the same mistake. When stoned I book mark the hell outta everything, never get out my CC. I've bookmarked some spam sites when stoned, lol, hehehe.

My regret is buying some non-raw nudies for $350AUD then finding SF 2 weeks later and learning about raw denim. The appeal of mass-marketed clothing died right then when I understood raw. The nudies are now house-jeans, yet cost more then each of my pairs of raws. I mock myself for not researching the item like I generally do.

--Wade

12. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

Those big cowboy boots I was wearing in a WDYWT picture a few weeks ago have become a very regrettable purchase. Not really my style anymore, but they're good for getting drunk and running through the underbrush. £100 isn't a good price for that type of shoe though.

13. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

My regret is buying some non-raw nudies for $350AUD then finding SF 2 weeks later and learning about raw denim. The appeal of mass-marketed clothing died right then when I understood raw. The nudies are now house-jeans, yet cost more then each of my pairs of raws. I mock myself for not researching the item like I generally do.
    I've always thought Nudie do a few pretty good washes - what'd you get?

14. jgu

jgu Well-Known Member

I regret getting a cashmere Steven-Alan sweater. The cut and details are very nice, but the cashmere is really cheap. It started pilling on the first wear and I got a hole in the arm pit on the third wear. I was able to get the hole repaired where its un-noticeable. I had to go over it with a fabric shaver last night so it doesn't look like a old sweater.

The cashmere sweater i got from Uniqlo is 10 times better, it still looks like new after the third wear, and it cost a third less. Though it doesn't have the nice details of the Steven-Alan.

15. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

Two True Religions and some of my Diesel...doh
    LOL! I was waiting for someone to admit that they bought True Religions!

16. Wade M

Wade M Senior member

I've always thought Nudie do a few pretty good washes - what'd you get?

A pair that was almost washed out [​IMG] Dark embom shadow or something of the like (they're not dark @ all).

--Wade [​IMG]

17. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Here a few that I've been stuck with off the top of my head:

-Blue and white houndstooth checked Paul Smith pants. Thought they looked pretty cool, but only realized that they wouldn't go well with anything after I got them hemmed.
    -Brown/tan velvet pants from Costume National. They're actually pretty cool, but the sizing was really messed up (they're tagged 48 EU, but the waist measures in the 34-35 range). I meant to return these, but I got backlogged with schoolwork and didn't get around to doing so before Yoox's return deadline ran out. Anyone know if it's possible to take in the waist on velvet pants?
    -Pair of dark blue jeans from Blue Blood. The wash is pretty awesome, and I love that the jeans have slash pockets, but unfortunately the pockets are overly deep to the point of being obnoxious. It might be that the designer didn't want anyone under 6'6" wearing these jeans, but I can't use the side pockets unless I want to feel my wallet and keys grinding against the top of my knee as I walk.

There's a few more if we're allowed to count returns, most all of them coming from Yoox. I love that Yoox is flexible in allowing returns, but unfortunately that's compensated with a complete lack of any sort of customer service on pre-purchase questions. It's always "thanks for asking about the sizing, design features, the specific line of the designer's house that the product belongs too, and all these other critical questions, but we're not going to tell you, so just order from us and hope you can beat the 10 day return deadline if you didn't get what you expected!"

18. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

I love that Yoox is flexible in allowing returns, but unfortunately that's compensated with a complete lack of any sort of customer service on pre-purchase questions. It's always "thanks for asking about the sizing, design features, the specific line of the designer's house that the product belongs too, and all these other critical questions, but we're not going to tell you, so just order from us and hope you can beat the 10 day return deadline if you didn't get what you expected!"

I have noticed that. I think all the stock is away in a warehouse and the customer service people have absolutely no access to it and are unable to answer questions that require having to see and hold the item.

19. Yet Fung

Yet Fung Member

Bought this moneyclip from TeNo in Soho, for 3 bills. It's made from Surgical Stainless Steel, smells like vanilla, and is the most regrettable purchase I've made in recent history.

[​IMG]

20. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member