Regrettable PURCHASES

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Oct 26, 2006.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

At least they aren't woven. They aren't, are they?!

Most of my regrets are thrift buys or cheap eBay gambles, which doesn't really bother me. The hunting is fun, and if I get one wearable piece for every two or three duds, I'll call it even. Now if I could only bring myself to throw out the pieces that don't fit, or are beyond used, etc...

2. ardeetee

ardeetee Senior member

A general rule I've adopted (when shopping in stores) is only buy it if you pick it up and can't put it down. I've found out then when I'm on the fence or only leaning towards buying, I'll wear it for a month and then wonder why I bought it. This makes shopping harder though since you are way more picky, but at least you know you'll be happy with what you have. Sorry to hear about those Crates too, I was just about to pickup a pair but I'm having lots of doubts after reading some of the complaints here. So it looks like a no buy on those for me, unless they go on super sale [​IMG] Biggest regret: Cheap shoes - e.g. my stupid kenneth cole square toes I bought in college and now the leather is green, :barf:.

3. Smooth Genes

Smooth Genes Well-Known Member

300 dollar suit from mens wearhouse -_-

4. thinman

thinman Senior member

Aside from a half-dozen items that don't fit, a pair of Allen-Edmonds Maxfields. They're tassel loafers with faux-woven detailing around the ankle and across the strap. Hide the children! Hide the children!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

What was I thinking??? I don't even like tassel loafers.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

A general rule I've adopted (when shopping in stores) is only buy it if you pick it up and can't put it down. I've found out then when I'm on the fence or only leaning towards buying, I'll wear it for a month and then wonder why I bought it. This makes shopping harder though since you are way more picky, but at least you know you'll be happy with what you have.
    awesome. i do a similar thing----i try to find a reason NOT to buy something and then exaggerate it so that my attraction to the object is turned into repulsion. any reason will work. if i fail to find a reason not to buy, i BUY!

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

At least they aren't woven. They aren't, are they?!

No, they weren't woven, but given how ugly they were they might as well have been. I think they were either Cole Haan or Johnston & Murphy. They're gone now, so I feel safer sleeping at night.

Like thinman, I once had a pair of the Maxfields. Gone now (thank goodness).

I have to stop reading this thread, because I'll undoubtedly see more fashion regrets in which I've partaken. In the '70's I wore velour shirts, but I don't count this since it was before I was 10 years old.

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

I've wasted tons of money on crap I regretted later. I have only bought a couple of things on impulse this past year because I just had to have it and everything was perfect like you guys mention. Here is my process:

1. The initial eye catch, "hey this is nice"
    2. Examination, I touch it to see how it feels and the overall look/details ie anything I don't like
    3. Try it on (I can't stress how important this is because the fit will stop you from buying)
    4. Put it down and leave the store (this is key, you need a cooling off phase which puts impulse desires at bay...you don't know how many times I walked away without buying and was so glad I didn't)
    5. Do you find yourself thinking about it still?
    6. Go back and look at it/try on again a week later.
    7. You'll know if you truely love it and have to have it or be like eh, it's ok and put it back down. If there is one thing I don't like it's an automatic deal-breaker.

Also, every piece I like I ask myself if I love it.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, Jet's 7 steps guide to happy shopping.

8. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

- Just about any Tommy Bahama item I ever talked myself into buying. At one point I was really into the resort look. I'm better now.

i could almost say the same, but if you're ever on vacation in a warm weather climate, the shirts aren't bad at all. very lightweight and cool.

-Jeff

9. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

a purple and pink striped dress shirt from Coast. it looked different in the pictures online...really.

some red sneakers from the European Puma brand purchased off Yoox. they look like bowling shoes. the best thing is that i liked them so much at the time, i bought 2 pairs! have worn them once and i bought them maybe 2 years ago.

two suits from Nordstrom rack that were two sizes too big but the salesman said that i looked good in them.

and of course there's a whole slew of clothing that i've purchased at the wrong sizes but didn't realize it at the time. luckily my brother can fit some of those items.

i'm sure there's stuff i'm forgetting.

-Jeff

10. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I've wasted tons of money on crap I regretted later. I have only bought a couple of things on impulse this past year because I just had to have it and everything was perfect like you guys mention. Here is my process:

1. The initial eye catch, "hey this is nice"
    2. Examination, I touch it to see how it feels and the overall look/details ie anything I don't like
    3. Try it on (I can't stress how important this is because the fit will stop you from buying)
    4. Put it down and leave the store (this is key, you need a cooling off phase which puts impulse desires at bay...you don't know how many times I walked away without buying and was so glad I didn't)
    5. Do you find yourself thinking about it still?
    6. Go back and look at it/try on again a week later.
    7. You'll know if you truely love it and have to have it or be like eh, it's ok and put it back down. If there is one thing I don't like it's an automatic deal-breaker.

Also, every piece I like I ask myself if I love it.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, Jet's 7 steps guide to happy shopping.

Good guide, I just wish I had the luxury of time on ebay, at a vintage store, or a store I doubt I'll return to. That's when I really get in trouble and end up doing a lot of impulse buys. But I'll agree with Shoreman. If I get a solid hit out of 3 or so, it was worth it.

11. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

I have a weakness for buying 'interesting' items on impulse and then finding them too 'interesting' to wear. I have a whole pile of clothes rotting that I'll never wear and mostly never did wear.

I regret my 6 or so pairs of cowboy boots and my pointy shoes with snake skin inserts. Christ, *wipes brow* this is a tough confession.

I regret every Diesel item I ever bought.

Buying online generally leads to regret in my experience. I return 75% of my Yoox purchases. I am more careful with ebay now. Photos lie.

12. watchman

watchman Active Member

I know it's strange, but i regret buying my Rag and Bone RB6's. I wish i had gone with an 11, and i wish i had gone with a longer inseam. It taught me to never shop stoned.

13. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

i could almost say the same, but if you're ever on vacation in a warm weather climate, the shirts aren't bad at all. very lightweight and cool.

-Jeff

I saved a couple of the basic camp shirts for just such occasions.

14. mass

mass Well-Known Member

i regret buying everything i buy and i regret not buying everything i pass on. \\:

15. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Two True Religions and some of my Diesel...doh