• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regrettable PURCHASES

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
on the flip side to JET's thread, what have you bought that made you go "WTF was I thinking" shortly after?

Reaction score
i deeply regret paying full US retail for RRDS ($260ish?)-----WTF?!!!
they are great jeans, but not at that premium.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
haha nice J, *goes to compile list*

ninjapie

Reaction score
Well, I kinda regret bringing some cotton corduroy G-star's to the tailor to get the bootcut removed. Leg-opening is 40CM now.
Cost me like $30, god I hate the fact that tailors in Europe are so god damn expensive. Of course you got some cheap ones, but the quality of their work sucks.

I'll post some pictures of 'em when I get a cardreader for my digital camera tonight. I'd like to know what u guys think of them now, I was thinking I should have had the leg-opening made a bit smaller. Oh well.

I also regret asking a friend of mine in Japan to get me a pair of Jet*G jeans. She's so busy with her work and all, I feel kind of ashamed now ... and I think I even asked for the wrong size.
peepwall[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I bought these around 2000 and they sit in my closet to mock me and remind me not to buy on such impulse...

Shoes by Icon. They're printed leather, depending on what shoe you have it has different images (paintings, the Campbell soup can, etc)

Mine are a sneaker version....and they cost almost $300. You'd think that you'd never see anyone wearing the same shoes as you if you have a pair of these, but NOOOOO, I'm at this swing/lounge club wearing them and I see another f'ing chick wearing the exact same shoe, same print as mine, but in a chick's version. Suddenly, I realized how girls feel when they're at a formal event and another snatch is wearing the exact same dress.

I just found the ones I have on the internet...

glf3navigator.jpg

*altho looking at them on here, I might just start wearing em again for ***** n giggles

Reaction score
i regret purchasing:

kenneth cole square-toed gunboats (2 pairs)
double-soled fire-engine red patent leather 16-hole doc martens
white leather metrosex pumas

confession over

wq1999

Reaction score
Two motorcycle jackets that I never wear: One by RLPL
($700), the other by Polo Sport ($400). They're both very well made and fairly warm. Just don't go with my current (more conservative) style. Going to try to sell them here or on ebay.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baggy, baggy, baggy Levis red tab jeans. Bought them one summer at an outlet store when I felt fat. I wasn't really, just unhappy. Now I can't even bear to wear them around the house.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corduroy and leatherYoko Devereaux hoodie jacket - have never ever worn it. Just not my style. I really liked the cashmere version, but it wasn't available, so I went for second best. Bad idea.

Now it sits in my closet, mocking me.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regret purchasing nearly everything a week to a month after I bought it. There's a select few sweaters, and shirts that I still enjoy... but the rest usually gets filed under "bad choice, dude." All of my jeans fit like crap, but I could never order something like APC jeans from the US without trying them on first. I blame it on lack of decent shopping here, a serious lack of vintage clothing stores, and insufficient income
musicboohoo[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I regret purchasing nearly everything a week to a month after I bought it.

I can relate to that. I've gotten to the point where I know that on some purchases I leave all tags intact, hang on to the receipt, and just hang it in my closet for a week or two to see if I experience buyer's remorse. I've returned a couple items this year after a week of staring at it and deciding I made a bad choice.

drake

Reaction score
Crate James IV. Buttons on the fly popped off on the first wearing and the denim feels like crap.

RLPL Cord Sport Coat: Way too baggy and long, plus the alterations tailor cocked up taking it in so it's pretty much unwearable now.

Varvatos Purcells: I listened to Zappos and sized down and now whenever I wear them more than :30 my feet hurt like crazy -_-

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two G Star jackets. One's a denim blazer, the other a cord work jacket. I actually still think both are pretty decent, actually, but really not me. Learned not to buy things until you have a clear idea of what your style is.

And a pair of Bostonians. I completely understand Nantucket Red when he said he called a pair of Bostonians "the worst clothing purchase [he] ever made".

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regrets? I've had a few:

- A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of those Nat Nast color block silk bowling shirts (I even bought a long sleeve one
snork[1].gif
).

- Just about any Tommy Bahama item I ever talked myself into buying. At one point I was really into the resort look. I'm better now.

- pleated khakis (I love plain front ones, though)

- overly distressed jeans or expensive jeans with a feature I know will go out of style (for that matter, expensive anything with a feature I know will go out of style - see above reference to Nat Nast shirts)

- a pair of low vamp, tassle, kiltie loafers (a triple threat of bad taste - Tony Soprano had nothing on these shoes)

- generally, things that don't completely fit right when I first try them on - I convince myself that I'll "get used" to it, like at some point I'll enjoy shoes that pinch my toes or a shirt that constantly pulls at my shoulders

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads