• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regimental Tie Etiquette

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Is it permissible to wear a regimental tie if you have a direct lineage to a regiment? In this case my great grandfather was a long time member of a regiment and fought with them in India. Personally I live and work in the States, so the chances of someone ever asking about the tie are slim to none, but I do like the idea that there is a story behind it.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that if you reverse the diagonal on the regimental tie, it no longer is "making a claim" to membership. Apparently, many regimental ties sold in the US follow this convention. I don't remember if top-left to bottom-right or the other way around is the actual regimental stripe, though it should be easy to find out.

I don't think that, especially in the US, there's much scandal with regard to wearing a regimental tie, the organization of which you cannot claim membership. That said, if you're wanting to do things properly, you probably shouldn't wear the actual colors of the regiment.

Personally, I think that the reverse-stripes are the best idea. It lets you tell the story and sport the basic look without making the implicit claim to membership.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Most striped ties in the U.K. are top left to bottom right and in the U.S. the reverse. I have seen a few exceptions.

danz24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I understand that if you reverse the diagonal on the regimental tie, it no longer is "making a claim" to membership. Apparently, many regimental ties sold in the US follow this convention. I don't remember if top-left to bottom-right or the other way around is the actual regimental stripe, though it should be easy to find out.

I don't think that, especially in the US, there's much scandal with regard to wearing a regimental tie, the organization of which you cannot claim membership. That said, if you're wanting to do things properly, you probably shouldn't wear the actual colors of the regiment.

Personally, I think that the reverse-stripes are the best idea. It lets you tell the story and sport the basic look without making the implicit claim to membership.

Im pretty sure Top-left bottom right is the actual regimental stripe, according to"Dressing the Man" (my style bible) and is reversed in the U.S.

Doc4

Reaction score
Perhaps a well-worded letter to the regiment in question would get you the answer you seek (or at least an answer to your question ... I don't know if their answer will be the answer you are seeking or not, though.)

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Nonk had a specific view on this (either this or what is the right way to put on your belt)....

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
I have a yellow and blue striped tie that is identical to the regimental tie of a disbanded (in the 1960s) regiment of Hussars....I feel very meek wearing it in certain parts of London where old cavalry offices are likely to hang about....could do without a sword stick to the guts

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say wearing your great grandfathers old regimental tie is a reasonable stretch if it is a disbanded regiment. nonk may not agree, though.

if it is an exisintg regiment, then I would not wear it.

probrably better to avoid altogether, though.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by petitnoblesse
Is it permissible to wear a regimental tie if you have a direct lineage to a regiment? In this case my great grandfather was a long time member of a regiment and fought with them in India. Personally I live and work in the States, so the chances of someone ever asking about the tie are slim to none, but I do like the idea that there is a story behind it.
Petitnoblesse, A very good and interesting question that does not have a clear-cut answer as is often the case with good questions. First, while many regimental stripes do indeed follow the "British" direction it is a sartorial myth that all do. Next, what is the custom in one country is not always the custom in another country - so if you wear a British stripe in America few if any would ever notice and even fewer would mind at all. Reversing the stripe will help further. Finally, I have heard of family members and others close to a regiment wearing a tie out of respect and this was greeted with acceptance by actual regiment members.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Petitnoblesse,

A very good and interesting question that does not have a clear-cut answer as is often the case with good questions.

First, while many regimental stripes do indeed follow the "British" direction it is a sartorial myth that all do.

Next, what is the custom in one country is not always the custom in another country - so if you wear a British stripe in America few if any would ever notice and even fewer would mind at all. Reversing the stripe will help further.

Finally, I have heard of family members and others close to a regiment wearing a tie out of respect and this was greeted with acceptance by actual regiment members.

My grandfather was a member of the 8th Army and encouraged me to wear the 8th Army tie.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
My grandfather was a member of the 8th Army and encouraged me to wear the 8th Army tie.
AndrewRogers, My point exactly - as long as we honor, respect and use commonsense all will be well. Which 8th, the British or American?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it is a personal accolade not one to be handed down or stolen by those with no connections whatever.

Sadly, especially in the USA, such connection is thought of as merely an inconvenience to be disregarded.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
AndrewRogers, My point exactly - as long as we honor, respect and use commonsense all will be well. Which 8th, the British or American?
The British; he was in the 7th Armoured Division, so he was what was known as a Desert Rat. That name is now used by the 7th Armoured Brigade. His best story was falling down a hole in North Africa and accidentally evading the enemy.

Azrael Frost

Reaction score
Hi there, to answer your question, No you shouldn't wear a Regimental tie, unless you've completed that regiments trials and tribulations before they bequeath one. To "earn your stripes" However, most English clothiers throw a nod to every Regiment in the Commonwealth, and make a replica tie with the stripes going the other direction, those are absolutely a great way to honour your Grandfather, regimental colours are encouraged for family members to wear. Sons, Brothers etc... Nothing cuter than a little boy waiting for his old man to get off a plane wearing his Dad's Regimental Colours.

I served in the Canadian Army, most traditions straight from the Crown,

Commonwealth (UK, Canadian, Australian, Indian, Jamaican Etc...) All have the Stripe Down to the left ( if facing the tie). Fine English Clothiers make replicas with the strip going the other way as to not offend and pay homage to truly great Regiments.

The US stripes go the other way, you will find a plethora of explanations But like the Chevrons in their rank system, they flipped upside down as an of FU to England. We are dearest of friends now, but back in the day, not so much...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka