• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regarding shirt collar size, should I err on the side of comfort (looser) or presentation (tighter)?

HPT704

Reaction score
I'm debating between a 16" and 16.5" neck, obviously a small difference, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference in presentation to others. The white shirt is 16" and the light blue is 16.5" . Both are pre-wash, so I'm wondering about shrinkage too.

I kinda obsess about small details, but if I'm overthinking it, just let me know.

Attachments

• White16b.jpg
    White16b.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 101
  • White16c.jpg
    White16c.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 103
  • White16d.jpg
    White16d.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 104
  • White16e.jpg
    White16e.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Blue16.5a.jpg
    Blue16.5a.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Blue16.5b.jpg
    Blue16.5b.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Blue16.5c.jpg
    Blue16.5c.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 481
  • Blue16.5d.jpg
    Blue16.5d.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 481

papado

Reaction score
I'm debating between a 16" and 16.5" neck, obviously a small difference, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference in presentation to others. The white shirt is 16" and the light blue is 16.5" . Both are pre-wash, so I'm wondering about shrinkage too.

I kinda obsess about small details, but if I'm overthinking it, just let me know.

The 16.5 is too large as when it's buttoned up you're already seeing gaps and space between your neck and the collar. The white doesn't look too small but I'm assuming you're asking the question because you feel the 16 is too snug?

I prefer my collar more secure/not having the gaps you encounter when you're wearing a size too large.

HPT704

Reaction score
The 16.5 is too large as when it's buttoned up you're already seeing gaps and space between your neck and the collar. The white doesn't look too small but I'm assuming you're asking the question because you feel the 16 is too snug?

I prefer my collar more secure/not having the gaps you encounter when you're wearing a size too large.

The 16" is snuggish, but not overly so. It just feels like there's not a lot of room for error, I'm a bit concerned about cotton shrinkage, temperature change, ect.

But you think the gaps in the necks with the 16.5" are noticeably enough to make a difference (even with a tie)? Thank you for your feedback.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s impossible for us to know how much your collar will or will not shrink, of course. You should be able to insert 1-2 fingers easily between the buttoned collar and your neck. I agree, the 16.5 looks too big unless it shrinks significantly in the wash.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming the 16” collar is not choking you, then I’d go with that one.

As for shrinkage, their are too many factors that can influence that, so it’s hard to predict. It looks as though you still have a bit of slack with the 16” so you should be good.

Personally, I’ve not really had issues with it. Of course, I wash my shirts in cold water on gentle, rack dry and iron myself so this may be why.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I don't hate the 16.5 -- the gap is visible, but it's not big, and comfort does matter.

But if you're not thrilled about either of these, look for a different brand. Natural variation between brands can be big enough to make a difference here. An eighth of an inch might make a noticeable difference here.

papado

Reaction score
If you're truly between sizes I may almost argue you should try a maker which makes shirts in euro (CM as opposed inches) sizes are the 41cm is a tad larger than 16" but not large enough to be at he 16.5 inch. That may actually be a nice middle ground depending on the fit of the rest of the shirt.

HPT704

Reaction score
Assuming the 16” collar is not choking you, then I’d go with that one.

As for shrinkage, their are too many factors that can influence that, so it’s hard to predict. It looks as though you still have a bit of slack with the 16” so you should be good.

Personally, I’ve not really had issues with it. Of course, I wash my shirts in cold water on gentle, rack dry and iron myself so this may be why.

Does dry cleaning tend to cause shrinkage?

HPT704

Reaction score
If you're truly between sizes I may almost argue you should try a maker which makes shirts in euro (CM as opposed inches) sizes are the 41cm is a tad larger than 16" but not large enough to be at he 16.5 inch. That may actually be a nice middle ground depending on the fit of the rest of the shirt.

True, but I wanted to grab a couple of Brooks Brothers shirts on sale before they (potentially) go out of business. Just trying to make a decision before my return window closes. Other than my concerns about the neck, they fit very well and are comfy.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score

Different brands within the US might vary this much. Hell, with bad QA, one US brand might vary this much. And some brands use 1/3 inch increments for some of their sizes (although that might be a conversion from CM).

Last edited:

Mr G

Reaction score
Indeed you will experience some shrinkage in the shirt to minimize that I strongly recommend that you do not place your dress shirts in the dryer rather hang them up to air dry now to address your neck size always select the size most comfortable don’t go to a half size up because you only create a gap that is unsightly and throws your necktie knot symmetry off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads