• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Regarding coat alterations: shoulders

kimizz0

Reaction score
Hello all, I was browsing the thrift stores last night and came across a wool overcoat I rather liked for about $10. Unfortunately, the shoulders are about 2.5" too wide for me. I know it's rather hard to alter shoulders on, say, a suit jacket, but I'm hoping (probably in vain) that it's not the same with overcoats. So, will a tailor be able to make the coat fit me more?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the coat have set-in sleeves (like a suit jacket) or raglan sleeves? If the former, is there any padding in the shoulders? All of these things are factors.

pengesq

Reaction score
If it's anything like a suit jacket, it's going to be expensive and probably not worth it.

I used to buy coats and suit jackets that were ridiculous cheap but a tad too big. Then I would have to spend big money to have my tailor take them in. Although they looked ok, I think I would have been better off buying something that fit properly in the first place.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't bother, keep looking. If you want me to keep my eye out, tell me what style/color/size and I'll add it to my thrift mental list.

bartil

Reaction score
I also have a question regarding alterations of the shoulders of an overcoat of mine: I now have quite "high" roping that I don't like so much, and would like to get more natural shoulders with sloped roping - is this possible for an "average" tailor to alterate?

I also wonder if the length of the sleeves is possible for a tailor to make longer, and, as my collar in the back is quite "tiny", I would like to get a little bit "more cloth" on the collar, if you know what I mean? Could this, too, be done with some good tailorwork?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
bartil:your description is a bit confusing. the roping is at the top of the sleeve not the shoulder. and yes it can be removed to become a regular sleeve.
if you wish the shoulder to be sloped thats a different story.
also the sleeves can be altered. buy if the bottom shows wear then the wear will show on the outside when lengthened.
it sounds as though your collar is too short or its been pressed wrong. your tailor can tell you about that.

bartil

Reaction score
@a tailor:

Hehe, yes, I'm sorry for that, but I'm not yet an expert in the english sartorial terms I'm afraid.

Here's 2 pictures that better explains what my overcoat-shoulders look like now, and how I want them to look:

What they look like now (not THAT strongly, but still):

And here's how I want them to look:

Here's 1 picture that better explains what my overcoat-collar (in the back) look like now, and how I want it to look:

How I want the collar to look:

And if you "take away" circa 50% of the collars "highness", that's what it looks like now --> the collar in the back is simply too short, I guess.

Are you following my conclusions better now?

EDIT

I don't quite fully understand your answer regarding the sleeves, could you describe that one more time please?

bartil

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I just HAVE to bump this thread. No one has an answer to my post above?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40