• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regal longwing shoes

Milkcansan

Reaction score
I just bought a dark brown Regal longwings. It fit me very well.
I think it is goodyear welted and made in Japan. However I think it is of corrected grain calf leather.
Do you think it is a good buy? Singapore is a disaster area for good shoes so I do not have a lot of choices in retail here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are quite possibly corrected grain, as a lot of Regal's lower-end shoes are made from corrected-grain leather.

However, despite that, I think that they are most likely good shoes as pretty much all the Regal shoes that I have seen in Japan (in both lower-end and higher-end department stores) have been well-made.

Have a look out for a calf-leather model next time you are out shoe shopping. Did you pick them up at Takashimaya on Orchard Rd?

By the way, if you have a couple of spare days, it might be worth your while to drive or fly up to KL and pay a visit to P.Lal shoes. They will apparently cease to carry Crockett and Jones very soon, but they still stock Loake, Sargent and other English brands.

Milkcansan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
They are quite possibly corrected grain, as a lot of Regal's lower-end shoes are made from corrected-grain leather. However, despite that, I think that they are most likely good shoes as pretty much all the Regal shoes that I have seen in Japan (in both lower-end and higher-end department stores) have been well-made. Have a look out for a calf-leather model next time you are out shoe shopping. Did you pick them up at Takashimaya on Orchard Rd? By the way, if you have a couple of spare days, it might be worth your while to drive or fly up to KL and pay a visit to P.Lal shoes. They will apparently cease to carry Crockett and Jones very soon, but they still stock Loake, Sargent and other English brands.
Thanks for the info. I bought these from Isetan with 20% discount. The price is almost the same as the internet price. I do not know if they stock any calf leather shoes in Singapore. I do not think they are doing brisk business with the price level of the corrected grain ones already. I have been to P.Lal in KL. It is in some hard to find apartment. They have quite a bit of stock there. But I am have time then to try and also not ready to buy a $400 to $600 (benchgrade to hand grade) yet. The brand I like is Alden but I need to go to at least Hongkong for that

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milkcansan
Thanks for the info.

I bought these from Isetan with 20% discount. The price is almost the same as the internet price.

I do not know if they stock any calf leather shoes in Singapore. I do not think they are doing brisk business with the price level of the corrected grain ones already.

I have been to P.Lal in KL. It is in some hard to find apartment. They have quite a bit of stock there. But I am have time then to try and also not ready to buy a $400 to $600 (benchgrade to hand grade) yet.

The brand I like is Alden but I need to go to at least Hongkong for that

I fully understand of wearing nice shoes in a place where always rain...
Perhaps you can buy Alden online with leathersoul?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milkcansan
I have been to P.Lal in KL. It is in some hard to find apartment. They have quite a bit of stock there. But I am have time then to try and also not ready to buy a $400 to $600 (benchgrade to hand grade) yet.

The brand I like is Alden but I need to go to at least Hongkong for that

P.Lal used to have an actual store, but I believe that they are redeveloping/rebuilding it and that is taking a while. As a result, they are currently operating out of an apartment, which is not exactly ideal!

In my experience, Alden is terribly overpriced throughout Asia.
As an example, prices in Japan for Alden shoes are almost exactly twice the price you pay for Alden shoes in the US.
Therefore, I think that it would definitely be best to buy online - but of course, sometimes it is good to find a store that stocks the shoes so that you can try them on and establish your size first.

neyus

Reaction score
Regal are decent shoes. The ones you purchased are great but are made on corrected grain by the looks of it.

Time will reveal how good these shoes are in the long run.

I would second Journeyman's comments on visiting and purchasing from P.LAL>

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads