• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regal Heritage (the shoes)

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some of these at Kumgang the other day. Anyone know anything about these? How's the quality stack up? I'm not one of the shoe experts around here. They are doubtless the nicest looking shoes I've seen in Korea. The fact that the store lacked any sort of price-tag was telling though.

I'm a total grognard for buying shoes in person. My right foot is bigger than the left and they're both short (x), wide (z) and tall (y), so I wanna try anything on in person.

(English really needs to stop whoring out the word "short" for two totally different dimensions.)

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I saw some of these at Kumgang the other day. Anyone know anything about these? How's the quality stack up? I'm not one of the shoe experts around here. They are doubtless the nicest looking shoes I've seen in Korea. The fact that the store lacked any sort of price-tag was telling though.
As far as I know, Regal is a Japanese brand, but I know nothing of this "Regal Heritage" you speak of. If it is Regal, then it's pretty decent, but with mostly short and wide sizes and not always the most awe-inspiring looks. Some of their shoes are also Blake/Rapid rather than Goodyear welted. If Regal Heritage is a different brand, then... I have no idea.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
As far as I know, Regal is a Japanese brand, but I know nothing of this "Regal Heritage" you speak of. If it is Regal, then it's pretty decent, but with mostly short and wide sizes and not always the most awe-inspiring looks. Some of their shoes are also Blake/Rapid rather than Goodyear welted. If Regal Heritage is a different brand, then... I have no idea.

https://www.kumkang.com/brand/brand.asp?activeBrand=13

This is what I dug up.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
From what I know Regal is indeed a Japanese brand. Although the advertising for them in Korea is certainly very vague regarding what they actually are - no doubt on purpose by Kumgang. I think I even remember having seen a "Made in Italy" somewhere in connection with Regal. Though I might be mistaken on that.

I know that Kumgang is on the hunt for actual European shoe brands and I know of one specific case where they have not been successful in getting distributorship for an old English brand. I wouldn't be surprised if this was at least partly why they have been pushing their "house brand" Regal Heritage in the media over the last months.

You are right, there are few good shoes around in Korea, but the situation is getting better. I am in the process of opening my own shoe shop in a few weeks because over the past years I've been quite frustrated with the limited availability of good shoes and the ridiculously high prices for the few that you can get around here.

If you like, have a look at the website in my profile.

Best regards
Reto

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
From what I know Regal is indeed a Japanese brand. Although the advertising for them in Korea is certainly very vague regarding what they actually are - no doubt on purpose by Kumgang. I think I even remember having seen a "Made in Italy" somewhere in connection with Regal. Though I might be mistaken on that. I know that Kumgang is on the hunt for actual European shoe brands and I know of one specific case where they have not been successful in getting distributorship for an old English brand. I wouldn't be surprised if this was at least partly why they have been pushing their "house brand" Regal Heritage in the media over the last months. You are right, there are few good shoes around in Korea, but the situation is getting better. I am in the process of opening my own shoe shop in a few weeks because over the past years I've been quite frustrated with the limited availability of good shoes and the ridiculously high prices for the few that you can get around here. If you like, have a look at the website in my profile. Best regards Reto
Think I may just do that. EDIT: But Vass + G&G might be a bit out of my range.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
There are other brands available in Seoul. Meanwhile you can find a limited selection from quite a lot of brands. The problem is always that they are between about 40 to 140% more expensive than in Europe. And this is not due to import costs!

Without having worn any of them, in the price-bracket where the Regal Heritage shoes are offered by Kumgang, they appear to be quite nice, so why not give them a try? Let us know what you experience.

In any case, you're welcome to come by our shop once it's open. It's always nice to meet like-minded people and talk about shoes and the like :)

Cheers
Reto

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
There are other brands available in Seoul. Meanwhile you can find a limited selection from quite a lot of brands. The problem is always that they are between about 40 to 140% more expensive than in Europe. And this is not due to import costs!

Without having worn any of them, in the price-bracket where the Regal Heritage shoes are offered by Kumgang, they appear to be quite nice, so why not give them a try? Let us know what you experience.

In any case, you're welcome to come by our shop once it's open. It's always nice to meet like-minded people and talk about shoes and the like :)

Cheers
Reto

Yeah, I'll check it out in any case.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this thread.

I was at kumkang recently. The Regal you saw is in fact a Korean brand and is produced in Korea. The design is highly influenced by Church's as well as their exclusive use of Goodyear welting for their shoe range. They are definitely the best shoes produced in Korea.

I did manage to try some of them... the leather was somewhat lower in quality than I expected. At the pricepoint Regal is being priced at, you can find better value with a host of Japanese brands.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Thought I'd bump this thread.

I was at kumkang recently. The Regal you saw is in fact a Korean brand and is produced in Korea. The design is highly influenced by Church's as well as their exclusive use of Goodyear welting for their shoe range. They are definitely the best shoes produced in Korea.

I did manage to try some of them... the leather was somewhat lower in quality than I expected. At the pricepoint Regal is being priced at, you can find better value with a host of Japanese brands.

Maybe it's expensive because it's Hanwoo leather hahaahaha

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Maybe it's expensive because it's Hanwoo leather hahaahaha

Hahaha ... they do taste good!

I heard from a sales rep that they use imported French skins for their shoes. I'm not sure whether or not this is the case though 

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Hahaha ... they do taste good!

I heard from a sales rep that they use imported French skins for their shoes. I'm not sure whether or not this is the case though 

I saw some Crockett and Jones at Sinsaegae for like 900k haha. I thought, screw it. I can fly to England and buy some new ones for that price.

akoustic

Reaction score
I have a pair of Kumkang Regal Heritage shoes. Regal "Heritage" brand is Kumkang's top of the line brand and are hand made using Goodyear wetting. I purchased mine at a Kumkang store where they have a special section for these shoes and let me tell you they are high quality shoes. I own a few pairs of Allen Edmonds, Canali, and Hugo Boss shoes and for the price you pay it's an awesome value. The only problem i have with them are their laces. the laces they provide are not waxed and in my opinion, too casual. Although it's something that can be easily changed for a few bucks. Regal shoes are made in Korea. Kumkang also distributes and makes Bruno Magli shoes for the Korean market. Check them out if you can at the Kumkang store. Definitely worth the trip if you are in Korea.

eric Yoo

Reaction score
Hi
The prices for those shoes are 180dollar to 400 dollars, and if you look carefully you can get discounts by using coupons.
Let's face it, thats a hack of a good deal lol

About the quality, its decent .
Around Loake and Herring's quality.
And they also produce higher quality , higher priced ones; however, I would rather buy CJ or Churches with that money.
However if you live in South Korea you could get free resoling
They provide Incredible after services unlike English brands lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads